DV tapes in the VX2000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old September 5th, 2003, 01:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DV tapes in the VX2000

I was just reading the BBC manual on the VX2000 and it stated that the camera could record on DVCAM tapes. (http://www.bbctraining.co.uk/pdfs/dv...x2000guide.pdf)

Is this true? (I haven't been able to find any reference to such in the manual that came with the camera.)

Anybody out there tried that?

Chris Obonsawin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2003, 02:45 AM   #2
Outer Circle

You probably can. The "pro" version of the VX2000 can use either miniDVCAM or miniDV. On another note, I would trust the BBC on their VX2000 information. Ever hear of the BBC audio fix for the VX2000? Yup.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2003, 07:02 AM   #3
Major Player

Like Frank I understand this to be true. What I'm not sure about is how the VX2000 treats a format that runs at a different speed from miniDV. I believe DVCAM runs at 40 minutes per tape but whether it does or not in the VX2000 I don't know. If not how would it play back in a DVCAM deck?

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2003, 08:09 AM   #4
Regular Crew

According to the BBC site the 40 minute DVCAM tape runs 60 minutes. So is the output better quality then miniDV? I might play around with this just to satisfy my curiousity.

Of course, with my eyesite I probably wouldn't be able to see the difference. :-)

Frank, what's this about the BBC audio fix?

Old September 5th, 2003, 11:48 AM   #5
Major Player

There will be no difference in quality, all you're doing is recording DV on a DVCAM tape. It's not even like it'll be less prone to dropouts as you're still recording DV. The only differences will be that you'll pay 3 times as much for a Mini-DVCAM tape and you get a nicer case for it, thats it. There is no picture quality difference between DV and DVCAM anyway so it would be a bit of a wasted effort.

John.
John Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2003, 02:29 PM   #6
Regular Crew

But that case!! :-)

Old September 5th, 2003, 03:06 PM   #7
Wrangler

Will cost you about $20 extra. :-))
Old September 6th, 2003, 09:04 PM   #8
New Boot

Just for the fun of it;

This April I read a "White Paper" from our friends at Sony. I was left with this impression. DVCAM tape has better retentivity and is the best choice for Archival Media. DVCAM tape is slit to more precision than consumer level tapes and should give less problems when run in varied equipment. DVCAM tape has a better coating on the tape and will withstand a more rigorous environment. DVCAM tape's drop-out rate is half of that of consumer tape.

Sony built a new production line and would like you to buy more tape!

While all the above is true, just the facts, if you will, there still is alot of controversy over the DVCAM vs. Mini DV choice. I think it's mostly pshycological. The Archival issue is my main concern. I can never use a tape twice. The idea of a more rigorous tape makes me ask, who is doing A/B edits with video tape? Of course people are (I just stopped this Spring), but most of us use some form of NLE. Drop outs have never been a problem for me, nor mechanical hang-ups because the tape was slit incorredtly. I assume we all know that DVCAM has a wider frame placement on the tape, than Mini DV. (They call it pitch, we see it as a faster speed)

I have and my colleauges have, many Hi-8 tapes that are ten years old (plus) and are full of drop-outs. So, what does my brain tell me? Buy the best! What is more practical? Buy what you can afford. For my VX-2000 I use the DVM60EX2 and for my DSR-250 I use the PDV-64N/124N. I could use better, but neither of these tapes have let me down.

Could I try something less? No! My brain won't let me. Have you made up your mind?

Information on Sony is availabe from Tape Resources:

www.taperesources.com FAQ on tape.

Tim Lab
Timothy Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2003, 09:57 PM   #9
Outer Circle

"I assume we all know that DVCAM has a wider frame placement on the tape, than Mini DV..." Yes, but a VX2000 doesn't have a DVCAM option. It's a miniDV cam. And I would think that the Digi8 and DVPRO formats are better than DV because of the faster running tape speed and wider track pitch.
Old September 6th, 2003, 10:01 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Tim.

I'm not intending to use my tapes more then once, because I know if I do the tape I record over will have the one scene I'd like to use again in another project. :-)

I'll try the tapes you suggest DVM60EX2.

There's so much to learn about this camera and this format, from sound to tape quality to how it differs from film in regards to light. I'm loving it.

Old September 6th, 2003, 10:03 PM   #11
Regular Crew

My experience with audio tapes tells me that faster is better and bigger (wider) is better but does that hold true for digital information?

Old September 6th, 2003, 10:07 PM   #12
Outer Circle

With DV tape, sure it does. That's why Pana's pro cams use DVCPRO and Sony's pro cams use DVCAM. Regarding that other question, the BBC came up with an audio solution, a fix, for the VX2000 some time back.
Old September 6th, 2003, 10:14 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hmmm. Can't say I'm overly pleased with the audio I've gotten after the first few days. I've been actively searching out alternatives the last couple of hours.

Old September 6th, 2003, 10:20 PM   #14
Outer Circle

A good mic like a ME66 with a Beachtek XLR adaptor plus keeping the audio gain down is one solution. The BBC solution goes 1 step further.
Old September 6th, 2003, 10:23 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I'm guessing Commerical Electronics? Unless you can recommend a better place?

Chris Obonsawin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion