Sony Europe Announces PD170P at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old September 11th, 2003, 11:33 AM   #1
Wrangler

PD-170 rumors persist

Somebody e-mailed me a link to the latest PD-170 "specifications". Who knows, it's possible? This info is a little less outrageous, but I'd sure believe that Sony would announce this before it appeared on some other website.

If this is true then Sony is certainly coming up with a rather boring upgrade to the PD-150 after all this time. Oh boy.... new body color and a new lens hood! <yawn>... IMHO, this is a hoax. But if it isn't, well then I'm glad I got a PDX-10. ;-)

http://www.biz-max.net/bizmax/dsr-pd170.htm
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2003, 12:58 PM   #2
Outer Circle

All the person would have to do is read through the description and specifications, and open their eyes to look at the crummy pictures. But as you know, many people cannot read and cannot see. :)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2003, 10:37 PM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

Re: PD-170 rumors persist

<<<-- Originally posted by Boyd Ostroff : Somebody e-mailed me a link to the latest PD-170 "specifications". Who knows, it's possible? This info is a little less outrageous, but I'd sure believe that Sony would announce this before it appeared on some other website.

If this is true then Sony is certainly coming up with a rather boring upgrade to the PD-150 after all this time. Oh boy.... new body color and a new lens hood! <yawn>... IMHO, this is a hoax. But if it isn't, well then I'm glad I got a PDX-10. ;-)

http://www.biz-max.net/bizmax/dsr-pd170.htm -->>>

Winston's a reliable seller, it would be quite odd for him to have been hoaxed, and I do not believe he would participate in perpetrating a hoax. And it's worth noting that Expandore is also announcing and offering this PD170
http://www.expandore.com/product/Son.../DSRPD170P.htm

Neither of these pages makes the wacky claims that the hoax brochure did, such as "17P."

IF this is accurate, it's quite reminiscent of the XL1-to-XL1s upgrade... people clamored for the XL2, but they got the XL1s. Here people want some major 16:9 / 24P version of the PD150, but what they may get is this PD170 (and the name does seem consistent, since there's a DSR-370 and a DSR-570, why not a PD-170?)

Sony also has a history of releasing minor upgrades (the DSR200 spawned the DSR200A, the PD100 bequeathed a PD100A) so maybe there's validity to this after all?

If this is a hoax, it's much more believable this time. Might be a little easier to believe if it'd been accompanied by a Sony press release, though.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2003, 12:00 AM   #4
Outer Circle

A few days ago on that biz-max.net site, the old joke post was still up along with strange PD170 specs. Today I went there and noticed that everything has changed, including the poorly scanned PD150 pics and questionable specs. I also checked supervideo and Vincent's site. Nothing! about a PD170.
Old September 12th, 2003, 05:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi all, I don't know if anyone saw it but in that old biz-max hoax post (titled "sony pd170 coming shortly -- not") , I emailed them directly about it. They actually emailed me yesterday saying that they had the new updated specs on the page. But honestly, nothing against biz-max as a seller (I have never dealt with them), but I wouldn't trust a darn thing I see on their page since they were telling me the whole 17P hoax came to them directly from Sony HQ. Either they knew well that it didn't and they were covering their rears, or they don't check their sources well at all.

Not to make any accusations here but both these sites have something to gain by posting info, whether its a hoax or not: traffic. I have not heard or delt with either of these sites, and I'm sure some others haven't either, and suddenly people like me are showing up just to check out this listing, and that turns into a whole "while I'm here I'll check out the other prices" deal.

You can see a copy of the emails that were sent to me in that other thread. Again, I don't mean to talk badly about them as a business. But I was told that they were waiting for Sony's OK to post the "real" info, explain this: how likely is it that a huge corporation like is going to kick off their advertising campaign by releasing info to a small website and saying nothing themselves. Picture it- Sony execs around table: "What do you want to do about that PD170 release" "Oh! I know! lets call biz-max and have them release that info on their page! But we won't actually do anything ourselves, that way its cheaper for us".

Now really, I'm just kidding around here. I don't mean to start a huge argument, but while speculation is always fun, lets not take any of it too seriously. Is there a PD170 coming soon? The reality is no one can be sure. Are the specs on the biz-max page correct? Again, they very well could be, but I certainly hope thats not all there is to it. But who knows...I'll believe it when I see it on the Sony website.
Robbie Smolinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2003, 07:31 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

It's now on Jan van der Meer's Global DVC site: http://www.global-dvc.org/html/PD170.asp.

Sony is showing the PD170 at IBC, which is going on right now.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2003, 10:24 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Well there it is I guess. *As I tuck my tail between my legs* But at least the speculation has been resloved, to some degree.

It says that this is a prototype, so is that why Sony hasn't made an official announcement yet? And what does that mean exactly, is it likely that they may change some things before the release, or is this just what you'll get period?

I'd like to hear some reactions just to see what other people think of it. Looks like Barry hit the mark when he said it could be like the XL1 to XL1s upgrade. But actually it seems like there were more improvments in that upgrade than this new PD170 (well this is opinion, I could find more upgrades in the XL1s that I would find most useful, while these PD170 upgrades don't really make me want to run out and buy one).

I'd like to hear what people think of it. persoanlly I think it looks sort of ugly, I always prefered the dark grey body of the PD150, and this looks like a mix of that with lighter grey and that big black viewfinder. The upgrades listed there don't seem particularly useful for my needs either, but maybe thats not the full list yet.

I'm curious as to what it is going to cost......that shold be interesting. And does anyone think there would be a really significant price drop in the PD150 as a result?
Robbie Smolinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2003, 11:01 AM   #8
Wrangler

Well like I said before, I'm glad I got the PDX-10, and the PD-170 doesn't make me want to trade in my VX-2000. It sounded as though the viewfinder LCD was actually the same but they just put a bigger magnifier on it. The controls on the handle don't sound too earth shaking. Having better low light performance is always good, but I find that curious. People already acknowledge the VX-2000/PD-150 as the low light leaders, so this shouldn't really open up any new markets for Sony.

I guess it's nice to bundle in a WA lens (depending on the price), but that's a little strange since anyone who is upgrading would probably already have their own. All in all these seem like improvements geared towards ENG, there's certainly nothing here for DV movie makers.

Let's see what else was there.... an iLink strap! Oh boy, I had *really* been hoping for one of those! ;-)

IMO it's a big disappointment. Maybe they will introduce something completely new before NAB next year? But perhaps their market research indicates there aren't enough budding film makers out there to justify catering to them? For those who were eagerly hoping for real 16:9, cine gamma, 24p, etc, well I think Sony has lost them (at least for now). I suspect those people will go with Panasonic, or maybe the PDX-10 depending on their needs.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2003, 11:27 AM   #9
Outer Circle

But why was it posted that this new PD170 has 17P? That's really strange.
Old September 12th, 2003, 11:40 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Information on this sony site:

http://www.sonybiz.net/dvcam

Patrick
Patrick Bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2003, 11:54 AM   #11
Wrangler

Interesting if true.

I went back to the home page and typed in the model number and was referred to the PD150P page.

It is not mentioned in the IBC hype pages and one would think that it would be.

I'm still not certain it is not a hoax. Were I to bet, I'd still say it is a hoax.
Old September 12th, 2003, 12:39 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Go to

http://www.sonybiz.net/dvcam

Look down the page to

Previews & Features

DSR-PD170P replaces bestselling DSR-PD150P [NEW!]

Alternatively, think this may be the complete url

http://www.sonybiz.net/cgi-bin/bvisa...ssw-iibcpd170E

Patrick
Patrick Bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2003, 12:48 PM   #13
Barry Wan Kenobi

It's no hoax, it's on Sony's web site.

http://www.sonybiz.net/cgi-bin/bvisa...ssw-iibcpd170E

* SonyBiz.net is Sony's European business division.

(whoa, looks like I was too slow, you beat me to it!)
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2003, 02:26 PM   #14
Major Player

Hey I was just trying to tell you what's up...
Michael Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2003, 03:00 PM   #15
Regular Crew

The DCR-VX2100 was also supposedly announced today although I can't find the link, someone posted the text of the announcement. Seems it'll have the same enhancements noted in the PD170 announcement, in addition they restyled it "in dark grey instead of the current silver for a higher quality feel". Guess they took note of a lot of the complaints about it's silver color. It's supposed to be out in December.
Sean R Allen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion