Aperture settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old March 7th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Aperture settings

A general question about the iris settings (for a PD150)

I have shot a couple of dance gigs, and when lights get up very bright and i tighten up the aperture I sometimes find that image has an almost hazie appearance.

I recently found a post where a guy said he likes to shoot with the aperature around f4, so he puts a couple of ND filters.

So, would I get better image quality if, rather than shooting at f8.*, put on the ND filters and shoot with a wider aperture.

All thoughts and experience greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

marks
Old March 7th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

IMExperience with 150/170/250,the sweet spot is around f/4 to f/5.6 so you might find that your find your friend is correct. Throw the ND on and try to keep the iris around those numbers
Old July 28th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Hello,

i will be shooting a couple outside weddings with a vx2100 and wanted to know if I should use auto aperture or manual? I haven't been really impress with my outside footage using the manual setting. Although I usually use f4 and the ND filters.

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #4
Major Player

Auto or manual. Once the aperture is selected, the exposure is set. It doesn't matter if you are on auto or manual -- f8 is f8 is f8. So why choose manual? Well, if you 'know better' than camera's metering system is one reason. Because you hate to see the exposure change (or more accurately, see the camera make a change in response to a passing or transient light) and so want to 'lock' the exposure to the subject, and let any light or shadow that wander into the shot play out in a natural way.

I shoot almost every shot in manual mode. But I have no quibble with the exposure meter in the camcorder -- I simply lock the exposure to the camera's choice before I start the shot. Maybe I zoom in on the subject, lock the exposure & then back off the zoom to the framing I want ...

What I don't do is use a separate light meter, or decide I 'know' what aperture to use -- so really I'm using the auto choice, I'm just locking it in for the duration of the shot. I do the same with focus most of the time, for the same reason -- nothing screams 'amateur' like a camcorder hunting for focus or exposure in the middle of a shot, IMHO.

Cheers,
GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #5
Major Player

Great answer Geoff. Thanks.
Troy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 01:43 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I understand ( from recollection of reading or hearing something way back in the dim past ) that the BBC arrived at f5.6 as being about the right spot for the PD150.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion