PD150 Questions - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old September 16th, 2003, 07:29 PM   #106
Wrangler

Yes, or at least that's what I do. I like the way 25% speed looks for some things as well. Am working on a clip with a woman in a long dress blowing in the wind as she walks down the beach. The dress and waves look nice at this speed. Caveat: I use Final Cut Pro on the Mac.

Sorry, I don't work with MPEG2 or DVD's.... someday I'll have to catch up with the rest of the world! I'm working strictly with DV and deinterlacing for projection on a large screen.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 08:43 PM   #107
Regular Crew

Slow Motion

Thanks for the advice.

I just tried it with a video clip of my daughter and it looks good at 25%, I however dont think I have frame blending...just de-interlace, which I dont think is the same thing.

What kind of wide angle lens do you use ???...is 0.7x fine ??..and what do I expect to pay for it ??..is more expensive better ??

As for DVD authoring...this to me is the easiest of all aspects of videography.

If youre interested, here is my website
www.CreativeDigitalStudio.com

Me and two other fellow mechanical engineers started about 8 months ago. We had to learn every single aspect from scratch. We did our own web page, we do our own director & flash programming, editing and all. We didn't mean to do start doing full length classic videography, but the money to be made is out there, and we started getting requests. The interactive CD-ROM (VideoTreasures) that we do is something that, as far as we know, has never been done before. And we still have our full time day jobs....for now...
Lester DeLeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 09:19 PM   #108
Inner Circle

I use Vegas for editing and my method of slo mo' is different than discussed here so I'll stay away from that but I will tell you that I have both a Century Optics WA and a Kenko PRO WA. (I seem to have 2 different of most everything:) Both are .65 but I'm sure a .7 will work just fine. I actually use the Kekno PRO more than the Century for 2 reasons. 1) the Kenko PRO has filter threads (82mm) and the Century does not which would mean a matte box with filter holder and frankly thats pretty heavy and to me awkward to be running around at a wedding reception. 2ndly IF something happened to my lens (drop, scratch whatever, the Kenko PRO is less money than the Century Optics. BTW in my opinion only, the quality of the image is only nominally (how do you like that big word;-) better than the Kenko PRO. Anyway that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2003, 03:40 PM   #109
Wrangler

Re: Slow Motion

<<<-- Originally posted by Lester DeLeon : I however dont think I have frame blending...just de-interlace, which I dont think is the same thing. -->>>

I don't remember if you said what NLE software you're using? If it's on the PC then you might want to post the question to the PC forum as I imagine techniques could vary with the software.

Frame blending isn't the same as deinterlacing. When you slow down a clip frame blending creates additional frames from the previous and next existing frames. It uses the two fields of your interlaced (60i) video to do this somehow. That's why you don't want to deinterlace before slowing down the footage. Deinterlacing combines the two fields so you would only have 30 to work with each second instead of 60. This feature may not exist on some of the more basic software packages.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2003, 10:18 PM   #110
Major Player

Follow Focus unit on the PD150?

1. Any one here use a Follow Focus unit on the PD150?
I believe there are 2 in the market?

2. Pictures of your pride. Anyone have pictures online of their proud pd150 rig setup?
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2003, 10:12 AM   #111
Wrangler

I know what follow focus is for still cameras and pro cameras. How does follow focus work on a PD150 and can you direct me to a Web site?
Old September 27th, 2003, 02:12 PM   #112
Major Player

Well. I've never used one but i know of these 3.

1) http://www.centuryoptics.com/products/prodv/dvx100/Manual_Focus/manual_focus.htm
(This one is for the Dvx100)

and

2)
http://www.cavision.com/follow_focusing.htm

oh. and this one too (Cinetech)... right on dvinfo.net...
3)
http://www.dvinfo.net/sony/images/images2.php

any info/comments?
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 11:58 AM   #113
New Boot

Pd150

Does anyone have any info about a PD170 ?

I rented a 150 last weekend and with touches of their respective buttons I was a able to change shutter speed, iris, and gain without wading thru menus?
Kevin Kirchner
Kevin Kirchner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 01:50 PM   #114
Wrangler

Welcome.

It is only a PAL camcorder at this time and information, such as it is, is located mostly on European Web sites. Read some of the threads on this forum to see where those are located.
Old October 24th, 2003, 09:47 AM   #115
New Boot

Sturdy firewire connector for PD150

Hi folks,

Is there a third-party accessory with a sturdy firewire connector (like the xlr connectors at the top) for the PD150? My intention is to connect the handheld operated camera to a remote hard disk recorder, and tghe built in 4 pin connector is by no means suitable for that.

Thanks in advance.
Hakki Goceoglu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2003, 12:14 PM   #116
Wrangler

I believe Firestore has all of that with their system.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2003, 11:21 PM   #117
Wrangler

No external device is going to solve the problem of the built-in connector unless you permanently affix something to the camera in some manner.
Old October 27th, 2003, 07:27 AM   #118
New Boot

this is exactly what i am looking for, something lke the xlr connectors at the top, attached to the firewire via a right angle connector, and preferably a metal cover covering the firewire cable and the connector. i will have something custom built if one does not exist
Hakki Goceoglu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 08:08 AM   #119
Trustee

PD170 NTSC Offered For $50 More Than PD150 ...

For December delivery. Includes wide angle lens! Taking down- payments of $660 *now*! Any one had any dealings with Biz-Max?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 08:16 AM   #120
Obstreperous Rex

Dave

Strongly suggest you consider dealing only with our authorized DV Info Net Sponsors (as listed on this page). B&H is a full-line Sony dealer and their prices are closer to the real world. Check out B&H at this link. When you buy from one of our authorized DV Info Net sponsors, not only are you assured the best possible price and superb customer service, but you're also giving back a little to this community. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion