DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Help PD150 / Premiere / Pre-viewing on a monitor / TV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/14926-help-pd150-premiere-pre-viewing-monitor-tv.html)

Leo Espinosa September 24th, 2003 12:05 PM

Help PD150 / Premiere / Pre-viewing on a monitor / TV

Ok,

I know I am a knewbie but this dosent seem so hard yet I cant get it to work. I am trying to preview my work on a tv monitor and I understand I have to have the camera firewired to the PC plus my S-video out of the camera to the tv. I also set up the camera options for DV-out on and off neither works... also in premiere's playback settings I set it to output to the PD150....

So what gives...why cant I see it on the TV.....

Mike Rehmus September 24th, 2003 07:57 PM

You have to turn that function on in the menu.

Page 80 in the manual.

David Hurdon September 25th, 2003 05:47 AM

It may be the channel setting. My VCR wants L1 for video from the camcorder. Check the options below channel 3. One of them should do the trick.

David Hurdon

Leo Espinosa September 25th, 2003 10:04 AM

Well I have the DV out option on and yes I selected te right line input on my TV but still do not get the picture that I preview on the PC thru the Cammera and onto the TV......WHY ???????????????????????????

Please help...thanks

David Hurdon September 25th, 2003 06:37 PM

Are you getting audio without video on the TV? If you're seeing the output on your camera LCD you might have to enable S-Video in on the TV/VCR menu. The only other thing I can think of is that your project isn't NTSC. Are you working with full res DV or something compressed, like small frame .mov or .avi?

David Hurdon

Leo Espinosa September 28th, 2003 08:55 AM

I forgot to metion that I don't even see the preview back on the PD-150. I would guess it would be a Premier setting or somthing with the IEEE-1394. I can capture fine but I would like to preview the colors on a NTSC TV....

As far as Premiere I did option the playback settinf to render -scrub out to the camcorder.....

Anyone else have / solve this problem ?

Thanks

David Hurdon September 28th, 2003 09:12 AM

I'm still wondering about your project settings. Are you working with material that is NTSC-friendly? You may for example get a mpg file to play in Premiere but you won't get it out to camcorder or TV without exporting an NTSC DV AVI (QT too I guess, on a MAC).

David Hurdon

Chris Mah September 28th, 2003 11:09 AM

You said in your Premiere Playback Settings, it's set to the PD150. Are you using the Editing Mode to be DV Playback? Drop the box down and see if there's a setting for your IEEE card.

When you click the Playback Settings button do you see specific settings for your capture card or "Playback on DV Camcorder/VCR"? If mine is set to this I get no output to the PD150.

I have a DV Raptor card and I have to set the Editing Mode to DVRaptor and then when I click the Playback Settings button the DVRaptor specific properties pop up.

If you don't see your IEEE card in your Editing Mode settings it's possible you might have to reinstall your card before Premiere was installed for it to pick it up.

Leo Espinosa September 29th, 2003 07:24 PM

Hmm,

I'll try these latest suggestion gents...

Thanks for taking the time to help....

Leo

Leo Espinosa October 2nd, 2003 10:40 AM

Ok Gents,

Let me try yo be as specific as I can, maybe this will help.

I have captured footage in DV using my PD150.

I have transferred that footage to the pc Via the IEEE capture process.

I have created a project in premiere, NTSC, 4/3 etc

I can preview the project on the desktop.

I would like to preview it on a NTSC TV.

I have hooked up the PD 150 via IEEE 1394 to the PC and Video out of the PD150 in the TV.

I have tripple checked the TV input selection

I have Checked premiere settings for DV playback, render scrub to dv deck/camcorder is on

I have set up the PD150 AV-DV to on in the VCR set menu.

My understanding is that the PD-150 will convert the IEEE DV signal to NTSC video witht he above setup thus allowing me to preview my project etc....

What am I doing so wrong....

Thanks again....

Chris Mah October 3rd, 2003 12:33 AM

I have the exact same hardware/software setup as you describe. The only difference is that my A/V -> DV OUT setting is OFF. If it's set to ON there is no signal output to the TV.

You should troubleshoot by treating the problem as two separate signals. They work independent of each other. Sorry if the following sounds very basic but I'm just trying to solve your problem.

First set the A/V -> DV OUT setting to OFF as this is the setting to make it work. This is the same setting to use if you're trying to capture footage from your VCR into Premiere.

Unplug the IEEE cable and play a tape to make sure it's displayed on the TV.

Unplug the connection to your TV and plug in the IEEE cable. Play something in Premiere and it should display on your LCD panel. If you do not see anything then the problem is most likely a setting in Premiere.

The key here might be your Premiere Playback Settings. You never said exactly what they were set to. If you look at my previous posting I say that if I set it to "Playback on DV Camcorder/VCR" it will not work for me. I have to be able to bring up the DV Raptor properties page which tells Premiere how to output to my capture card.

Do you have a brand name IEEE card that might come with specific drivers? It's possible that input works fine with the card but output doesn't unless you have the specific driver loaded.

You should post the name of the card to see if anyone else is using that card and to find out if there are specific drivers. They might also be able to tell you if they see the card listed in the Playback settings.

If you do not see the listing it might mean that you need to reinstall the card so that Premiere knows it's there.

Well, that's everything I can see that should make it work. The final possibility is that your capture card's output is broken but that's very unlikely.

I believe the problem is most likely an IEEE driver issue. If you are using the Operating System's generic IEEE driver, it's possible it's not 100% compatible with Premiere.

Leo Espinosa October 3rd, 2003 03:17 PM

Hey Chris,

Thank you for the detailed info and trust me at this point you could sketch it in crayon and it would not offend me....

I did isolate the problem between premeire and the PD150. I cannot get it to display onto the PD-150 no matter what combination of settings I try AV-DV on or off nor toggling the playback settings in Premiere.

I am running Windows XP and do not have a 3rd party capture card. I have two IEEE options..

1. The motherboards ( AsusTek p4c800)
2. The sound card ( SoundBlaster Audigy 2)

Neither seem to work for this but both work to Capture the DV into the PC.

I am very knew to DV & NLE and have done a lot of research lately on Camera's, NLE, DVD authoring.....I haven't really understood the benefits of an expensive capture card.... Isn't IEEE 1394 all the same ?

I will look for updated drivers and any IEEE 1394 PC settings that might help...

Thanks again

Leo

David Hurdon October 3rd, 2003 04:37 PM

After I bought the Audigy Platinum (1st version) I discovered that Creative calls the firewire port SB1394, not IEEE1394. They had at the time a very short list of compatible firewire devices. The port was not standard-compliant. I don't know about the version 2 port, but does your device manager identify one or both of the firewire ports as functional? Does Premiere identify one or both in your device control selections? I too have successfully captured from the Audigy, but only as a test. I use the Canopus DV Raptor for capture.

David Hurdon

Leo Espinosa October 4th, 2003 09:57 AM

David,

What are the benefits of using the canapus besides obviously the preview problem that I have with the motherboard IEEE1394...

Better quaiity ?
Speed ?
Other features ?

David Hurdon October 4th, 2003 10:31 AM

The Raptor uses the Canopus AVI codec, which is highly regarded, and came with some FX plug ins that are better than what was in Premiere 6.02 for a number of similar functions. It's been a very stable system for me, and moved to 6.5 without difficulty. You do, however, have to choose either a Canopus project setting (no Premiere RT) or a Premiere setting (no capture/export via Raptor). I've tried (once today) to switch horses in mid-stream but asking for RT doesn't have any affect in a Raptor project.

David Hurdon