How much $ for Better Image Cam than VX2000? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old October 6th, 2003, 03:13 PM   #16
Wrangler

As far as shooting landscapes and nature goes, DV just has some serious limitations. You can minimize these with good composition, exposure, etc, but they still remain.

This has been driven home to me on my current project where I'm using a lot of computer animation, including landscapes created in Bryce. The individual frames look great when you same them as JPEG's, but once you compress them as DV you really lose the fine detail and they turn into something completely different.

After a lot of experimentation I've been able to get results that I'm pretty happy with, but the next time I try something like this I'm pretty sure I'll want to go the HD route...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2003, 06:19 PM   #17
Regular Crew

PDX10 will give you better resolution on wide screen

Wait till someone comes out with a decent HDV camera. It will not take that long.

HD will soon become the only way to shoot anything to have any kind of longevity.

UD (ultra definition) systems were demonstrated already and Sony is about a year away from introducing UD resolution projection systems.

If you can wait, forget SD.
Christopher Toderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2003, 06:29 PM   #18
Outer Circle

Yes, HD. However, a jump to digiBeta will be a big jump---both expensive, so maybe settle for the DV5000. Oh, and one more thing. Most, if not all, pro cams don't come with OIS. Personally, I found the VX2000 resolution very good. If I owned one, I wouldn't be dreaming about something better just yet.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 03:25 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Don't let the kit a person uses plant pre-conceived ideas in your brain about how good a filmmaker they are. Good video comes much more from experience than from expensive kit, believe me. Sharp lenses and expensive microphones will not go amiss, but even so, what really matters is experience.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 03:35 AM   #20
Outer Circle

Good one, Tom. I think. I'm still quite happy using my old---real old---1 chip JVC miniDVs. I think it's because:

A) they're paid for
B) their lux requirements are low
C) they do the job
D) I'm used to them / easy to use
E) they're paid for
Old October 8th, 2003, 03:54 AM   #21
Trustee

Which JVC models do you have, Frank? As I understand it, the older miniDV cams were better in low light than any of the newer low-end ones.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 03:59 AM   #22
Outer Circle

I have 2, JVC GR-DVL9500U models. Not as good as many of the newer models, but they hold their own, and then some, with lower light conditions. Plus they're paid for. :)
Old October 15th, 2003, 12:01 AM   #23
Major Player

This may not be the correct forum for my question but, please endulge me. In comparrison to most of you in the DVi Community I am a novice. I am reading your posts and am blown away at the incredible amounts of knowlegde you people have. Could you take a second and let me know what type of digital work you do. Are you professional DP's, Cameramen, etc? I am just extremely curious.
G. Lee Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2003, 03:20 AM   #24
Outer Circle

Weddings, funerals, instructional videos, the odd news clip when I catch something, and a lot of video just "for fun." I'm no pro. A pro would be someone with at least broadcast training and shooting 20 or more hours a week (except on holidays). :):)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion