DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Coping with Vignetting (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/16009-coping-vignetting.html)

Paul Tauger October 20th, 2003 12:24 PM

Coping with Vignetting

I use an Optex .65x WA converter on my VX2000. The Optex has threads in the front, and I've tried both a standard UV filter on it, as well as so-called "thin" circular polarizer. With both filters, the camera will vignette slightly at the widest focal lengths. The problem is, the VX2000's viewfinder and LCD both overscan, so the vignetting isn't visible when I shoot. I'm tired of coming home with black arcs around the edges of my shots.

What do folks do to get around this? Do you all simply not use filters on your WA converters? Is there a magic (fixed and easy-to-hit) amount to zoom in to eliminate vignetting? I'm sure I can find it by trial and error -- the problem is finding someway to "fix" the mark so that I can hit it reliably every time.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mike Rehmus October 20th, 2003 01:15 PM

Truly the only certain method is to use a filter setup that does not vignette in any condition.

Since I normally only use my WA indoors in benign environments, I ignore my usual advice and use it without a filter.

I imaging that someone makes a adapter that accepts a large diameter filter and clamps around the outside of the WA lens front.

Hmmm. Another thing to build in the shop. Could probably use one of the Series filters to avoid the fiddly little threads.

Jeff Donald October 20th, 2003 02:21 PM

What is the filter size of the VX2000? You might want to try using an adapter ring to use an oversize filter. For example on an older camera I had (49mm I think), I used a ring to go from 49mm to 72mm. I had a 72mm C-Pol from a still camera. It worked perfectly with no vignetting.

Bryan Beasleigh October 20th, 2003 06:04 PM

I have a VX2K and an Optex WA. I use a cavision mattebox.

I do have a hoya coated 3mm thick UV and i don't get any vignetting. A few mm more and i have no doubt that i'd be vignetting.

If you didn't want the 4x4 matte box the 3x3 will work with no vignetting. I've tried it with a production monitor when i looked at the cavision matte boxes.

You can get a clampon 4x4 for $375 plus a few bucks for adapters ($5 for the 85 mm split ring and $35 for the 58mm to 85mm cone). The 4x4 is $200 for the p[lastic back plate or $250 for the metal. If you will be using rods you should get the metal backplate.

Support rods (carbon fiber) are $100 for the 3x3 and $180 for the 4x4. that includes the mounting plate. the 4x4 includes a tripod balance plate as well. The construction is very good . great bang for the buck.

The downside to the 3x3 is a .65 is the widest lens adapter you could use without vignetting. the 3x3 lens shade on the mattebox is soft rubber. The same shade is available by itself. using the shade by itself will accomodate a wider lens adapter. As a lens adapter the shade sits closer to the lens.

I spent around 6 hours at cavision last spring. i tried everything they had. I wouldn't take their optics seriously yet but they steadily work on their camera and sudio accessories. The filter trays are pretty well the same as chrosziel now. The construction isn't quite as finely detailed but the price is 1/3 or less. No one else has a cloth bellows

email me at beasleigh at eudoramail dot com if you have any questions. i have the latest price list in MS Word .

The optex filter threads are 82mm. you could use a series 9 but that's only a 2 mm difference. The actual aperture on a series 9 is 78mm, an 82mm has 76mm actual aperture (filter glass diameter showing) then ther would have to be some type of shade.

FYI
www.cavision.com

I like the owner and his wife Catherine. Speak with Jason in sales or Catherine. The owner is usually at one of the factories that produce their parts.