DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Telephoto Lens For VX2000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/16708-telephoto-lens-vx2000.html)

Dave Largent November 5th, 2003 12:35 PM

Telephoto Lens For VX2000

Anyone have any experience with anything okay or better in the 2X range, or so? Any brand you've tried that you would advise to avoid? How about the idea of considering a 52mm or 55mm tele
with a step down ring (from the VX' 58mm threads) or is this a bad idea?

Steve Nunez November 5th, 2003 06:31 PM

Dave,

Sony has a spectacular 1.7x tele-extender that is 58mm! It's excellent and is less expensive than the Century version. Make sure you get the "HG" version- it stands for high-grade and it's optically excellent!!!!!

Federico Prieto November 7th, 2003 10:58 AM

I am 100% agree with Steve....I have the same sony tele adapter and it works great!

FP

Dave Largent November 7th, 2003 03:06 PM

Is it total zoom through? Is there any vignetteing at the wide?

Mike Black November 8th, 2003 08:34 AM

Hi Dave,
I sold my Sony 1.7X and got the century 2.0X with the bayonet mount which is much sturdier than the screw on mount.
I found the lens to be really better in color and contrast, and really use it a lot for wildlife. The 2.0X is just enough for small wildlife and sometimes I even have to use the 2.0X digital zoom although I don't like to. Only for this reason I would like to have the GL2 for the extra Zoom.
Mike

Federico Prieto November 8th, 2003 10:41 AM

"Is it total zoom through? Is there any vignetteing at the wide?"

Yes Dave, the Sony tele lens has vignetteing at wide.

FP

Steve Nunez November 8th, 2003 08:16 PM

Mike,

I've seen bayonet mount offered- what is that and how does that work in difference to the screw in mount?

Dave Largent November 8th, 2003 09:00 PM

Thanks, guys. I'm going to get the Sony HG.

Mike Black November 9th, 2003 08:57 PM

Bayonet mount

Hi Steve,
It mounts directly on the outer side of the camera lens and not where the filter screws into. The bayonet only needs about 1/4 turn, and is much stronger than the thread mount which can also be dificult when you are in a hurry. The only negative is that I have to take off the UV filter before.
It gives a more secure feeling knowing that you are not putting any strain on the VX2000.
Mike

Dave Largent November 18th, 2003 07:33 PM

Got in the Sony 1.7X HG Sony telephoto. Had a chance to take a brief look at it this evening. Initial impression is that there is some loss in sharpness and contrast with this lens. I'll try to get a better look during the day. I must decide by tomorrow what to do with the lens. Anyone else notice any trouble with this lens?

Steve Nunez November 19th, 2003 08:54 AM

Dave,

I never noticed a drop in sharpness or contrast- but then again I shot in pretty good lighting. I shot with a GL2 and supposedly the VX is sharper so maybe you do take a small hit in sharpness.....are u finding it un-useable?

Dave Largent November 19th, 2003 10:49 PM

I put up a review of the Sony 1.7X telephoto and it's use with a VX in the "Open DV Discussion" forum.

G. Lee Gordon November 20th, 2003 03:47 PM

Hey guys (and gals). I just purchased a tele and wide lense. When I zoom in all the way there is a black circle. It's like looking through a looking glass. What is that? Is that normal? How can I get rid of that???

Bryan Beasleigh November 21st, 2003 01:03 AM

Sounds like vignetting. Your filter ring or the lens barrel is in the frame. This happens when you go wide.

You said when you zoom in meaning full telephoto? Which lens does this happen with?

G. Lee Gordon November 21st, 2003 11:22 AM

It happens with the Telephoto lens. How can I avoid vignetting?