DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Here's the facts, go figure... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/17146-heres-facts-go-figure.html)

Elmer Lang November 16th, 2003 08:54 AM

Here's the facts, go figure...

I received this info on a PD150:

Operation: 180
Drum run: 100
Tape run: 90
Threading: 420

What does each stand for?

What does that tell me about the machine?

What further questions would you ask to determine this PD150's condition?

thanky,
elmer

Adrian Douglas November 17th, 2003 08:33 AM

I'm taking a stab here but:

Operation: total switched on hours
Drum run: hours the drum has been running, this includes pause time.
Tape run: hours tape has been running through the mechanism, ie record time.
Threading: the number of times the tape has been loaded into the mechanism. This could include tape insertion/removal, unthread/rethread for auto power down etc.

Overall this seems like a well used camera but like I said it's a stab. If someone knows for certain please feel free to correct me.

Mike Rehmus November 17th, 2003 11:14 AM

Each of those numbers were generated by the camera by dividing the 'real' number by 10. So this is a very well used camera and one that is statistically about ready for a bit of rehab.

If you can get it cheaply enough to make the purchase price plus the overhaul price a bargain, then get the camera. Otherwise, I'd pass and find one that hasn't been used quite so much.

Elmer Lang November 17th, 2003 01:06 PM

Thanks gents, muchissimo!

Mike,

If you have a sec, what does rehab constitute? Replacing tape assembly, and what else? Do they grease duh joints or what?

thanks again,
elmer

Mike Rehmus November 17th, 2003 02:58 PM

That's a discussion better directed to Sony. They have fixed-rate service prices. Usually 2 prices, one with and one without a head replacement. Theoretically they fix/clean/replace/align anything that needs attention.

I've found that it really helps to tell them what you want done. Just a feeling I have about their service based on my first experience. I've had great luck with them when I tell them what I want fixed.

Tom Hardwick November 18th, 2003 10:11 AM

My guess is that my VX2000 has the info in there somewhere and that Sony engineers can access it but I can't. Unless anyone out there knows differently.

tom.

Mike Rehmus November 18th, 2003 01:35 PM

You can get to it if you have the wired RM-95 remote. Otherwise, not.

Frank Granovski November 18th, 2003 05:16 PM

I recall John Beale's site having something about this.
Quote:

My guess is that my VX2000 has the info in there somewhere and that Sony engineers can access it but I can't. Unless anyone out there knows differently.