Sony Vx2000 Nightmare at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 22nd, 2002, 01:48 AM   #1
blacksvn

Sony Vx2000 Nightmare

One week out of warrenty my camera just shut off. I took it to a authorized repair center and they said something about processor failure. $900 to fix. I decided to mail it to sony to see what they thought. They told me it woulb be $600 to fix. I paid the $600 and they said it would be fixed. 4 months later still no camera. They were claiming a part was on back order. Finally they got the part and they said I would have my camera back in 2 weeks. 3 weeks passed and I got a letter in the mail saying the found more problems and they needed another $600. I about flipped. So I sent them another $600. Its been 9 months now and still no camera. I hate sony. They are all a bunch of corprate pricks. I will never buy a sony product again. My friends TRV 900 did the same thing. They advised her that it wasnt worth fixing. I just got a Avid NLE and I have no damn camera. It's like a bad dream. I hate sony.
Old April 26th, 2002, 12:58 AM   #2
Major Player

Man I am sorry to hear that. That really sucks big time. I dont really have anything to say accept I hope that doesnt happen to my VX or Im going to flip out.
Old April 27th, 2002, 05:21 PM   #3
blacksvn

Update!

I finally got my camera back and guess what? It's still messed up. Yes you herd me correctly. Sony charged me $1,200 took 9 months, and still the camera has alot of problems. I cant get into the menu settings and it has grey bars through the screen on playback. Death to Sony!
Old April 29th, 2002, 10:24 AM   #4
Shamus Jamal

Sorry dude.

I feel your pain. Only thing I could suggest is next time, if they are planning to charge you that much, cut your losses and buy a brand new cam. Sony stuff is usually good about not breaking, but if my VX2000 ever croaks I will either fight for a return, or just buy another. Sucks...

=)
Old May 25th, 2002, 03:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Sony TRV20

I sent that camera in for firewire port problem, I never saw it for 2 months, I thought that was excessive. I feel for you.
ja135321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2002, 09:49 PM   #6
Wrangler

Sony isn't too well known for their quick and agile repair work.

In this case it would seem to me that you have a case to make with Sony. Were I you, I would call and ask to talk with the repair facility manager about the issues. Offer to fax or email the history you've shared with us to that person.

If you don't get satisfaction out of that interraction, then go for the Sony US President. Write him a letter with the details of your complaint and ask him to resolve the issues to your satisfaction.

In spite of your problems, it is inconceivable that a large company want's to treat customers in this manner. At least we all hope that is the case.
Old May 26th, 2002, 04:58 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Dude, bring this to court.
If u win u will be able to buy 200 ++ VX 2000's.
I feel your pain.....
Marius Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2002, 05:40 PM   #8
Wrangler

Unless you are talking Small Claims Court (at least here in California) the cost to benefit ratio gets way out of line in a hurry. It is unlikely you will get any attorney to take it on without you paying up front. The amount you could win would be not a whole lot more than you have spent unless you can somehow claim consequential damages. An unlikely event.

Except for Small Claims Court (if your state has them) the cost of trying to win will greatly exceed the payback unless you are talking personal injury.

And until you attempt to recover your loss or get Sony to fix the camera, you are unlikely to be victorious in any case.
Old June 2nd, 2002, 05:44 AM   #9
Go Cycle

Winning a judgement is one thing.

Collecting is another!!!
Lou Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2002, 02:09 PM   #10
Wrangler

Actually not.

If you get a judgement, you can, with a bit more work, get a Sherrif's Deputy to padlock their doors until they pay up. Works most every time, I'm told.
Old June 3rd, 2002, 06:02 AM   #11
ottotune

State AG

Greetings! May I also suggest that you drop a line to the State Attorney Gerneral's office in the state where the repairs were performed with a carbon copy (that is an old phrase isn't it!) to the State AG in your state.

Outline the difficulties that you have had, the amount of money spent and the amount of time taken. Give all info that you have: such as names, dates, when you called.

What can they do? Probably not much. They will generate a letter to the particular Sony shop with the question of "Why?' somewhere in the middle. I will bet that the Sony folks will not like a letter sitting in the middle of the desk from the AG though... Never know. You might get some action on it.

Later!
Edward Tune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2002, 02:38 PM   #12
mustardseed

I just got a new vx2000 and I Hope...

I just bought a vx2000 and I hope that I do not have simalar problems, I did pay for a 4year warranty through GE. So I hope that protect me.

As for your problem, did you send them cash or did you use your charge card? If you use your charge card, especially visa or mastercharge you may be able to go to them and have them apply pressure. You could write them a note outlining your problem with them and ask the credit card company to investigate why you were charge for service you did not recieve. It has worked for me in the past.

If you sent them cash, whoever you call always get their name.
But you will get better results if you write a register letter to the President, or Vice president of customer service. Outline everything that happen, send copies of cancel checks, enclose any name and dates you have.

good luck
Old June 16th, 2002, 01:29 PM   #13
Major Player

I can't believe that you paid 1,200 dollars to fix this thing.

Thats nearly half the cost of the camera!! Imagine a brand new 20,000 car breaking down and having to pay 10,000 dollars and wait four months to get it fixed.

This is rediculous.

If I were you I would be screaming!!

Something like this happened to an Alienware system I ordered. There were so many problems. Waiting around for them to fix the problem did nothing.

What you have to do is stick it too them. Call them up and email them 20 times a day a demand to talk to a product manager, a supervisor, etc. Even if they say that they are going to take care of the problem...just keep calling them and bugging them. Believe me they will get so sick of it they will make it a priority as they should.

THEN after its all said and done, report them to the Better Business Bureau. In fact, do that now.

This whole thing is really unfortunate. But in the end, if you're warranty has expired, there probably isnt much you can do about getting your money back. But for God's sake these guys should have this thing repaired in a reasonable time.

I bought my VX2000 from a local trustworthy camera shop in my town. The dealer told me that if I EVER have problems with the cam, to NEVER send it back to Sony. He said that would be my worst mistake. They advised me to give the camera to them and they would take control of the repair process for me.

Where did you buy the camera?
Old June 24th, 2002, 09:22 AM   #14
Wrangler

I've removed the last post from this Thread for the reasons I've listed below.

It is very inappropriate, in this newsgroup, no matter that you were posting for a humorous effect, to even remotely suggest that someone commit insurance fraud by purposefully destroying insured equipment.

There are two reasons:

A. Posting this type of content on a site such as this places the site owner at legal and perhaps criminal risk. A slight risk but a risk all the same. Only the site owner can decide whether or not to accept such a risk.

B. Equipment insurance for video gear is hard enough to obtain and very expensive given the amount of coverage. We don't need more insurance companies thinking that accidental equipment destruction was committed on purpose.
Old June 24th, 2002, 10:32 AM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

I didn't even have to ask Mike to take out that post. He already knew it was the right thing to do. That's why I invited him to moderate this forum.

Mike, thanks very much for your diligence in this regard. As a rule, we won't tolerate such inappropriate material anywhere on our community boards.

Now we'll return to our regular programming. Thanks again,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion