DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   VX1000 -- various topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/17476-vx1000-various-topics.html)

matteo151 February 1st, 2002 08:19 PM

VX1000 -- various topics

Although the subject is not the VX 2000, I wanted to place this under the same thread, since it may be somewhat related. Basically, I am trying to decide which camera to rent for a one-day shoot I am doing next week and would welcome any feedback.

How does the VX 1000 (which is one of the possible cameras) compare to the Canon XL1 (which I am told is a PAL system). While PAL camera get better image quality (right?), how does the VX 1000 perform, in terms of image quality? Also, what about shutter speed and image quality in low-light conditions? Is this a no-contest situation, with the Canon coming out on top?

Any advice is welcomed.

Adrian Douglas February 2nd, 2002 10:18 AM

If your final output medium is US television, I'd avoid the PAL camera as conversion to NTSC can sometimes turn out to be costly, otherwise I'd go for the XL1.

The VX1000 and the XL1 were what I compared when shopping for my camera a few years ago and I went with the XL1. Better optics, even though Canon make the Sony's lens/OIS, better low light performance, interchangeable lenses, better zoom.

matteo151 February 2nd, 2002 06:49 PM

VX 1000/Canon XL1

Adrian,

Thanks for the brief opinion. I never thought about the conversion issue cost. For what my project entails, it's not worth the cost.

I will consider the Canon.

Adrian Douglas February 2nd, 2002 07:33 PM

The Canon is PAL isn't it. If it is, use the VX1000.

matteo151 February 2nd, 2002 09:38 PM

VX1000 or Canon

Oh, right. Thanks.

myusername March 9th, 2002 10:59 AM

I am going to buy a camera and have heard that the Canon XLs1 is "better" than the Sony VX2000, but if you are saying that all XL1 are PAL (conversion issue) does that include the XL1s and if so, how can it be "better?" I hope I misunderstood the previous question and/or answer.

I borrowed a VX1000 to start my project but now want to buy a new camera to finish. I have been shooting cooking demonstrations in an indoor kitchen setting.

Please help. I am dangerously new to all of this stuff.

Adrian Douglas March 9th, 2002 10:12 PM

The XL1 was the original release 3CCD Digital Video Camera back in 1998. It was available in both NTSC and PAL. The XL1s is V2.0, and upgraded model and was releases last year, it to is available in NTSC and PAL.

The reason some people in the US us PAL(25fps)is that it has a closer frame rate to film(24fps) and it has higher resolution than NTSC (625vs525).

If you live in a PAL country (UK, Europe, Aus, NZ, etc) then PAL is really the only way to go, but for US crew you have a choice.

Basically, and this is just my opnion, I'm sure people will disagree, If you live in the States, go with NTSC. There really isn't any noticable difference between the 2 and conversion from PAL to NTSC for local viewing can work out to be costly.

Hope the clears it up for you.

smartydraaws March 10th, 2002 01:40 AM

i really recommend a book by Scott Billups "Digital Moviemaking"... if you don't have this book before you buy a camera i would get it... he explains the difference between cameras, formats, and he even explains compression pretty well... he is a little biased, but i think overall it is a good book... basically... he says... TRY em ALL BEFORE YOU BUY ONE...

for all it's worth... i have a vx-2000 and really like it... it has some audio issues, but i think the picture is better than the gl-1...

the more you research miniDV... the more you'll find out... every camera has it's own special issues... what you do... is you pick the camera that has it's own strong points where you want them...

good luck,

william

myusername March 10th, 2002 12:50 PM

Thank you both sooooo much. You guys are great!!!!

Joel Landis May 31st, 2003 12:42 PM

How much does it cost for to fix the...

About how much would it cost to fix the viewfinder on a vx1000 because the picture has gone bad. It seems that it happens alot so would anyone know?

thanks!

Chris Hurd May 31st, 2003 11:03 PM

I believe this is due to a bad ribbon cable connection. Perhaps someone here knows how much is involved for the repair. As far as I know it is an ailment which is not uncommon to this camcorder.

Mike Rehmus June 1st, 2003 01:11 AM

It is fairly expensive but if you are at all skilled with small tools, you can repair it yourself. The Price for the flex circuit is under $100 and you can find repair instructions on the Internet.

One of the techs at our local college just fixed 2 in this manner.

Andre De Clercq June 1st, 2003 03:16 AM

See:http://videouniversity.com/wwwboard/vx1000/messages/175.html

Jeff Donald June 1st, 2003 06:44 AM

The repair company I used to own charged just under $200 and we put a six month warranty on all parts and labor.

Joel Landis June 1st, 2003 03:02 PM

how much do you think it would be to send to sony? over 200? are there any other places where i might be able to send it?