Purchase Decision Help... Please?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old November 30th, 2003, 10:20 PM   #1
New Boot

Purchase Decision Help... Please??

Hey Guys;

just discovered this forum a couple of weeks ago. I am learning alot. I have a Sony VX2000 but need to add another camera to my work. I am considering the new VX2100, PD170, or even the DSR-250. I will use mostly in event videography-sports, weddings... I am considering the PD170 and DSR250 because of the XLR inputs and phantom power. That would be very useful to me in weddings, etc.... I like the professional look of the DSR-250 and feel like I can get it at a reasonable price compared to the PD170. I also know that the PD170 and DSR250 record in Sony's DVCAM format for supposedly better video capture. However, I am very satisfied w/my VX2000. Any suggestions between these three cameras? Thanks!
Chuck Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2003, 11:14 PM   #2

If one is a professional by trade then the equipment that he or she owns reflects this.
I do know that you can get good pictures from the PD170 as it is a great camera. Being small it will not attract attention to your shoot. Opting for a more professional camera gives you choices ones that do not come from small lightweight cameras. Also when I am at film shoot I would rather have on the site a DSR500, DVC200, or a DSR250 as these cameras shoot good and have more to offer. As for a commercial shoot I believe that the client would be impressed by the bells and whistles of the camera. Meaning if you have the money on hand for a pro looking camera it will give you a better look towards the clients. This does not mean that you are a better cameraman just by owning a pro camera learn it’s ins and outs as well.
Old November 30th, 2003, 11:39 PM   #3
Major Player

I'd rather have the DSR250 for weddings. You can tape continuous 3 hours without changing tapes. Has the professional look. Large DVCAM format, more robust. I have used Sony 184 minutes tape 4 passes without any glitch or drop-outs. Try that with a mini-DV and you will see what I'm talking. I have used the VX2000 and PD150 and have suffered drop-outs in second pass. easier to stabilize when shooting handheld. Nice integration with FireStore FS-3. Has a built-in connector for anton Bauer UL-2 lights.
Old December 1st, 2003, 01:22 PM   #4
Wrangler

With the 2000, you have the shake and bake camera. The one that can run full-auto and deliver OK pictures.

I'd go for a second camera that had serious manual capabilities, better image processing and still matche the footage from the 2000.

For me, that's a DSR-300. Good matchup. Delivers images in difficult situations when my PD150 cannot. Actually handles faster with respect to focus, zoom, and aperature selection (and does it in a stepless fashion).

Doesn't hurt that it is indistiguishable from a $60,000 ENG camera and allows me to go places that I couldn't with the PD150.

You can get a low-mileage DSR-300 or 300A with all the goodies for about the same price as a new DSR-250. The Sony pro cameras are very well-built and a little use is not a big issue.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion