DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Pd 170 Vf (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/18054-pd-170-vf.html)

Will Boggs December 7th, 2003 11:15 AM

Pd 170 Vf

Does anyone know if the new large VF will retro fit to the PD 150? It looks like it will. All I have seen are pics off the web so I could be dead wrong but again, it looks like the old small VF on the 150 slides off and the new large VF could slide right down in place. If it will work, does anyone know where a good place to buy it is? I really love the large VF on my DVX100 and am thinking the new large sony VF will be just as nice.

Thanks,

Will Boggs

Don Bloom December 7th, 2003 05:12 PM

My VF doesn't slide off and I would really hate to go playing around with very small very sensitive electrical components.

Your choice but me, I would futz with it.

Don

Lou Bruno December 8th, 2003 07:05 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Don Bloom : My VF doesn't slide off and I would really hate to go playing around with very small very sensitive electrical components.

Your choice but me, I would futz with it.

Don -->>>

Under the VF there should be a small electrical type tape.
If you peel this off, then the VF will slide on the rails.

The VX2000 has it and maybe the 2100 does as well.
This is how to clean the VF.

Don Bloom December 8th, 2003 07:53 PM

He Lou,
I learn something new everyday, still don't think I'll play with though ;-)
Don

Boyd Ostroff December 8th, 2003 09:02 PM

From what I read somewhere, it sounded as though the VX-2100 and PD-170 had the same viewfinder LCD's but just used a larger magnifier lens. I think the VF pixel count was the same as the previous models. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Lou Bruno December 9th, 2003 04:42 PM

Hi Don,

I take it off all the time. That is the best way to clean the viewfinder. The tape only covers the small release latch.
I peel it back half way and remove the viewfinder. I then slip the VF off the rails and after cleaning back on again. The tape is always sticky. I bet the VF's on the VX2100 will fit the VX2000. Same with the PD 170 and the PD 150.

Lou Bruno December 9th, 2003 04:44 PM

Boyd,

The PD170. like the PD 150 has a B&W VF. The VX series has a color VF. The PD's are sharper. All SONY did was use a magnifier to expand the VF screen to the human eye.

Boyd Ostroff December 9th, 2003 05:20 PM

Understood... sorry I didn't state that well, I meant that both new models use the same VF LCD's as their respective older cousins. I know that the PD-150 BW finder is sharper than the VX-2000, so maybe there's some advantage to magnifying it more?

But I have a VX-2000 and its color viewfinder is really horrible IMO. I can see no advantage to making it into a bigger blurry image! It seems that Sony is just playing "me too" and trying to make the viewfinder appear more like the DVX-100 from the outside.

Don Bloom December 9th, 2003 07:18 PM

Lou,
You know in the 2+ years with 2 150's I never looked or paid any attention to that peice of tape. Now that you explained it I just peeled it back and cleaned my VF's for the first time since I've had these cams. All I can say is, I CAN SEE, I CAN SEE; Good Golly Miss Molly, I CAN SEE!!!! :-)
I promise I'll try to control myself but it is nice to see clearly again.

Thanks Lou as always appreciate the help.
Don