DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   PD 170 or GL-2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/18164-pd-170-gl-2-a.html)

Len Rosenberg December 10th, 2003 12:07 AM

PD 170 or GL-2

Hello, all. I have a GL1 and want to upgrade. Trying to decide between GL2 and Sony PD 170. Leaning toward the 170 but hesitant to give up 20x optical zoom for 12. Thanks for any advice!

Shawn Mielke December 10th, 2003 01:04 AM

If zoom is the most useful feature to you, the GL2 remains unmatched. Are you needing a big improvement on low light performance?

Len Rosenberg December 10th, 2003 09:59 PM

The biggest problem I have with the GL1 is color smear. White or bright objects are outlined with a rim of red color, this occurs in indoor and outdoor shots. I see no way to adjust color saturation on the GL1. I'm also looking for higher quality audio, and the PD170's built in XLR jacks seem a plus. The audio is supposed to be improved on the 170, but I haven't seen any user reviews yet.

Dave Largent December 11th, 2003 02:52 AM

Get the 170 with a Sony 1.7X tele.

Aaron Koolen December 11th, 2003 04:16 AM

Also go and try them out if you can. You might find one or the other feels crap to hold or use. That should also be a factor (Unless of course you were comparing a Varicam or TRV120e :) )

Aaron

Shawn Mielke December 11th, 2003 02:12 PM

Try them both if possible, yes, but it does sound like old tech. and smaller chips is part of your problem. The larger the chips, the fewer image problems, the less the smear, generally speaking. The PD170 should clear up those issues for you.

Dave Largent December 11th, 2003 02:47 PM

Len, I know of a guy who's used both the PD150 and
the GL2 professionally. I'll quote him: The GL2 "felt like a cheap piece o' c**p -- really flimsy feeling".
Personally, I like the look of the GL2. And I like the Canon name. But the PD does feel solid -- and heavy.

Len Rosenberg December 11th, 2003 05:49 PM

Thanks Dave. I had a chance to handle a PD150 and it does feel much more solid with a smoother zoom action than the GL1 I am used to. The GL2 doesn't seem much different from the GL1 as far as handling and feel. I was leaning very heavily toward the 170 until I learned about an audio problem in the first production run. Apparently using the LCD screen creates an increased hiss. This is a link--http://www.global-dvc.org/html/PD170.asp. I guess I'll wait to see what happens with that.

Dave Largent December 11th, 2003 07:18 PM

It's on hold for me now, too. It's unfortunate.

Mark Goodsell December 14th, 2003 10:04 PM

Then, why not take a look at the JVC 300U streamcorder? It's in the VX2100 price range and has XLR audio inputs and some of the best audio and video of the prosumer cams. In fact, the JVC us supposedly superior as far as the pic is concerned. It's plasticy, but then, that makes it lighter too -- more portable. The lens hood doesn't come off but, who cares, a W/A lens will still fit on it. Also, have you looked at the VX2100?

If you like your GL1, then you'll really love the GL2. It's similar in a lot of ways, only better. Lot of things were improved on. You can get the XLR adapter (I'm sure you know this already). Just because it has a plastic housing, who cares? It's lighter and somewhat smaller then the VX2000/PD170 ...which enhances portability. To me, the only downfall was the smaller chips. But I have to say it did produce a nice pic. Low light wasn't all that bad either (but not quite up to the VX/PD level though). I would have taken a good look at the JVC but it just came out when I was buying a cam and it was like $3000 and too new for reviews. So, I went with the VX2000. Also PD170 has a b/w viewfinder. I prefer color, personally (the consumer side of me).

Shawn Mielke December 14th, 2003 10:42 PM

I read today that the sound doesn't record to tape, it's just this bit of annoyance while monitoring audio. How does word of something like this fully reach the right channels to Sony, I wonder? In any case, everybody sit tight, don't abandon ship just yet, unless of course you absolutely need to shoot in several days' time. And, yes, the GL2 seems way too plasticky and Star Trekky for me to take seriously.
That's how shallow I am! :-)
Guess that's a good part of why I first went with the PDX10. It's mighty!
And also why I'm going with the PD170, in part....