DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Just ordered a new VX2000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/18249-just-ordered-new-vx2000.html)

Robert Allison December 11th, 2003 09:16 PM

Just ordered a new VX2000

I am new to this field so I am going to be taking some classes on shooting techniques and audio, but until then what accessories do I need to get started? I'm interested in making a how to video in the future, which will mostly be shot indoors. So where should I start on the extra's? Thanks

Mike Rehmus December 11th, 2003 10:07 PM

Congratulations and welcome. I always wanted to take a camera to Mexico city and tape those crazy people on the top of the poles in the park.

The question you ask has been exhaustively asked and answered in this and other forums.

Browse this and the other camera forums, search on 'new camera', etc., and you will find more than you ever wanted to know.

Danny Fye December 12th, 2003 01:32 AM

Re: Just ordered a new VX2000

The first thing you should get is a UV (haze) filter. This is a clear lens filter that you put on the camera to protect the expensive lens. Always keep it on the camera.

Danny Fye

www.dannyfye.com

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert Allison : I am new to this field so I am going to be taking some classes on shooting techniques and audio, but until then what accessories do I need to get started? I'm interested in making a how to video in the future, which will mostly be shot indoors. So where should I start on the extra's? Thanks -->>>

Lee Muller December 12th, 2003 02:34 AM

Mine just got here by UPS this past Monday. I haven't even tried it yet, just been looking at it. By the way, I decided to get a good case and am very happy with the LCH VX2000 case from Sony. $244 from Etronics.

I'm as new at this as you are and will be surfing the threads for info too.

Lee

Robert Allison December 12th, 2003 10:56 PM

What kind of uv filter do I get ther are so many to choose from do I get a 27mm or over 100 and what are the other numbers for?
I will be shooting mostly indoors so I just need something to protect the lens.

Thanks
Robert Allison

Lee Muller December 12th, 2003 11:20 PM

Well, the VX2000 uses 58mm filters, if that is what you're refering too. The UV is a must. The polarizing filter is great for outdoors.

Lee

Mark Goodsell December 14th, 2003 09:37 PM

I would order:
- Larger Battery NP-F750 or NP-F960 (the big daddy)
- UV and Polarizer filters
- Good tripod like a Monfrotto with a BOggen head
- Mike Muff [www.mikemuff.com] to cut down on wind noise
- Sony Light HVL-20DW2 10/20 watt
- Short shotgun mic. with shock mount
- Tapes

On the battery and light, check Ebay. You can save a lot by buying there. I think I paid 1/2 of new $ on the battery and light each. You could also get good deals on the lenses on Ebay too. But you can get them from B&H and order a bunch of DV tapes at the same time. The light is nice when ya need extra light. Even though your cam is good in low light, extra light really helps bring out the colors.

A good short shotgun is nice to have. I use a Sennheiser right into a mini plug (with a blocking capacitor in the xlr jack, and it works well. But it's kind of long. If you can find a shorter one (like the new audio technica (don't know how good it is)..

Get a box of tapes for cheap so you don't have to run to Walmart and pay double-price.

Mark G

Bob Schneider December 16th, 2003 10:27 PM

Vx 2000

Hi Mark,

What sennheiser shotgun are you usingh with the VX2k plugged into the 1/8 plug? Are you using a shock mount? Is the mic powered?

Thanks,
Bob