Control L/Lanc functions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old December 15th, 2003, 10:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Control L/Lanc functions

Does anyone have a complete list of functions available via the Lanc jack on the VX2000/2100? If so please include functions available when in camera mode and vcr mode if applicable. I have contacted Sony Customer Service but am having trouble getting an answer.

Thanks, Bret
Bret Corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 12:30 PM   #2
Wrangler

You might also want to search the net for Lanc web sites. They may have the list you are seeking.
Old December 15th, 2003, 03:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Mike, I don't know why I didn't think of that.
I just got a second reply from Sony Cust. Srv. and they can't answer my question. They suggested asking a local dealer and I know that won't do much good. Anyway I spent a little time searching the web and my first impression is that anything that can be contolled using the remote for a given piece of equipment can be done via the Control L/Lanc jack. The bad news is that you need some extra interface hardware and need to know how to write code to send the commands using said hardware. I believe the remote controlled tripods use the Lanc jack to control start/stop/zoom etc. That gives me an idea of whats readily available out there.

Thanks again. This is the first time posting to this or any other board and I have learned a great deal from all of you. I'm sure I'll be back as I am about to buy some new equipment.

Bret (for hobby only)
Bret Corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 07:22 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I use the Varizoom Stealth for my 150 and it controls "Record, focus and zoom". It's not THE best but for what I use it for it works fine.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 03:18 PM   #5
Major Player

What might be considered THE best of these?

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 03:45 PM   #6
Inner Circle

hard to say, I like my Stealth but the zoom function can be a bit abrupt sometimes but as long as I remember that, I can really ease the zoom in.
Don
Old December 16th, 2003, 04:08 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Here is a list of functions I do know is accessible via lanc+

I use an electronic housing and these functions are available in camera mode on top of those of the varizoom:

1. white balance
2. momentary auto focus
3. instant playback for 10 secs (although I think the period is adjustable)
4. menu

I know you also have focus control and zoom speed control.
Drew Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 08:20 PM   #8
Wrangler

What is an 'electronic housing?'
Old December 16th, 2003, 08:46 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Drew,
What is the name of the unit you have. I don't remember seeing one that has white balance capabilities on it. It sounds interesting although I'm not sure I see the purpose of WB being on a LANC control.
Don
Old December 17th, 2003, 12:52 AM   #10
Major Player

For ninety percent of the shooters out there, the primary reason to buy one o these devices is to control the zoom lens. Although abhorred by purists, the zoom is one more tool in your box to allow you to add variety to your camera movement, as well as change focal lengths quickly. The smoother you can "zoom" the camera lens, the better. Usually, this means the addition of an external zoom controller attached to the pan handle.

My personal preference is the Zoe, which seems to mimic the feel of a true professional controller very well. I also like the Bogen, but I find their controller that is meant to be an extension of the pan handle to be too limiting as far as placement. The "mini" size of the Zoe makes it quite handy for "steady" devices and jibs. As far as extras, it provides the "big four" for most Sony and Canon cameras: zoom, record start/stop, focus, and on/off (power down) and a number of others, such as low battery, tape run-out. Again, this pretty much mimics professional camera controllers. I can't imagine a reason to have a white balance button, but I am sure someone else will. If I could just get it to start my car...

Wayne Orr, SOC
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 02:17 AM   #11
Regular Crew

The housing is an underwater electronically controlled+

video housing. Made by Amphibico.
Other companies like USVH and Sea & Sea also use lanc to control camera functions.
In the past, it was possible to access anything that was an electronic button function on the camera thru lanc.
Drew Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 05:46 PM   #12
Wrangler

White balance capability. That one's easy. Camera is on a boom that cannot be dropped because . . . well, just because. PA holds up a white card, zoom in and :-)).
Old December 17th, 2003, 07:21 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Hey Mike, you know, I never even thought about a boom camera. Never used one so outa site outa mind.
Thanks for the reminder!
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion