DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   PD170 Split Audio Input? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/18845-pd170-split-audio-input.html)

Law Tyler December 26th, 2003 06:50 PM

PD170 Split Audio Input?

You don't need a mixer for a DSR-250, with its split input ability -- one channel (left for example) recording the camera-mounted mic for ambiant sound, like applause, etc, and the right channel on a receiver getting the voice from a wireless lavalier mic of the host, or groom, or whoever, and then mix it in post as though they are 2 mono channels.

Question is, the PD-150 is supposed to be miniturized version of the DSR-250, so can it do the same thing? I presume PD-170 would be similar to PD-150.

Don Bloom December 26th, 2003 08:54 PM

The 150/170 has 2 channels that can be seperated. I usually run CH1 with my shotgun and CH2 with my wireless when doing weddings or events.
Don

Law Tyler December 26th, 2003 10:15 PM

Great. By "shotgun", you mean the on-camera mic, right?

I mean, if both devices were off-camera, then any DV cam can do that, by getting a XLR converter that splits the stereo 1/8 into 2 XLR's.

But what I like about the DSR-250 is you can record one channel with the on-camera mic, and the other one via one of the XLR in the back. This way, I don't have to bring a shotgun mic support, plus the shotgun mic is properly "directional". Plus no messing with one more battery for the shotgun mic.

Thanks.

Don Bloom December 27th, 2003 05:43 AM

The 150/170 has 2 XLRs that really don't care whats plgged into them and yes I do mean on camera mic although I've used it off camera on astand and/or boom. I've done talking head interviews with 2 shotguns,1 over each interviewee and each one run to a seperate channel on the camera-I've run a boom with a wireless, I've even run 2 wireless with no shotgun, each to a seperate channel. I've never had a problem.
Don

Law Tyler December 27th, 2003 07:40 AM

Thanks Dan.

I should have re-looked at the audio situation carefully when I got a "professional" camera (like DSR-250 and PD-150), instead of continuing to spend several K's on now-useless mixers, wireless audio, shotgun mic, etc.

With this 2-channel setup and Vegas to split them into mono channels, I don't even need to hassle with a mixer on-site, and having to find somebody to be the soundman.

Just PD-170, plus one set of wireless with a lavalier and handheld, done!

(call me STUPID...)

Don Bloom December 27th, 2003 08:38 AM

Don't throw the mixer out yet, sometimes it might be the way to audio nirvana ;-)

Don

Mike Rehmus December 27th, 2003 11:06 AM

Especially if you need to mic up a play or band and need it all to come to the camera via wireless. Easy way to collect all the inputs and output them to a single channel that can then be transmitted to your camera.

Dave Largent December 30th, 2003 04:35 AM

Yep, Law, I went that way, too. Got a VX and
the lack of XLRs is always a hassle.
Did you check your 170 for that LCD door
buzz? I heard some guy in LA got an
NTSC 170 that has the problem.

Law Tyler December 30th, 2003 07:38 AM

Well, actually I gotten the VX2100 to back up my DSR-250 instead of PD-170. Should have gotten that though, now I am regrating.

I kept wondering the benefits of the PD-170 over VX2100, and how to justify the $1000 extra. Instinctively I like the XLR over the stereo 1/8 input, but still. And the in-video time-stamping feature was something I desired too, but have yet done any legal videography to again justify the $1000 extra.

The seperate on-camera mic was another plus, but again not quite enough.

Now that I realized the "standard" audio solution is one channel to the on-cam mic, and the other channel to the wireless lavalier, and mix in post, the $1000 extra is definitely justifiable. But I am stucked with the VX2100.

It will be my back up/second camera. I think I will just feed the lavalier to it, shoot from the other side unmanned to catch a direct shot of the groom.

So, for you people out there, unless you are a "amateur vacationeer type", get the PD-170 instead of VX2100!

Dave Campbell December 30th, 2003 02:16 PM

When they fix it.

Dave