Sony VX-2000 flicker on 25 shutter speed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old May 6th, 2002, 11:56 PM   #1
mitchellk81

Sony VX-2000 flicker on 25 shutter speed

I am experiencing fairly strong flickering when I am videoing dark areas with 25 shutter speed (I have a PAL model). The image can be fine if there are no dark areas, but if for examle I film a wall and a black chair in front of it I will notice lines running across that dark area. This only happens when I use batteries and does not happen when I use the power supply from the socket. It happens on 50 shutter speed as well but is not so noticable. Is this supposed to happen does anyone else have this problem?
Old May 8th, 2002, 06:45 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Are you using this PAL cam in NTSC land?? If you are, the power system here is 60 cycles. PAL is based on 50 cycles. What I do with my PAL cams is not use them in artifical lighting, unless I'm shooting in PALsville.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2002, 06:43 AM   #3
mitchellk81

No I am in Australia we use Pal, the strange thing is that this doesnt happen when I use the power from the socket instead of the battery.
Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:59 PM   #4
Wrangler

I'd guess that the camera uses the power line frequency to prevent the hetrodyning you experience. When the camera is on batteries, it has no reference and so it free-runs.

I'm talking about the internal clock that the camera uses to count out all of the timing signals required by the camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion