lens question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old January 6th, 2004, 01:49 PM   #1
New Boot

lens question

this marks my second lens question - hopefully i'm not being to redundant!!

i want to buy a new lens for my camera (fisheye) - i have a model in mind - pretty cheap $89.95 at B&H, but i'm not sure if it is compatible with the PD-150 - would someone care to enlighten me?? Thanks in advance for the help!!

here is the link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=183622&is=REG
Chad Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 05:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm pretty sure the PD150 has a 58mm front mount, which would make this lens adapter (46mm) too small. Check your camera's manual/documentation to get the correct diameter, then do a search for adapters of the same size.
Old January 6th, 2004, 07:44 PM   #3
Inner Circle

the PD150 uses a 58mm mount.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 09:59 PM   #4
Trustee

You have a good camera with good optics, you should look at lens accessories befitting your camera. It seems that the fish eye adapters are $100 cheapies or ones over $400. I guess with a fish eye, it's all about distortion anyway so what the heck.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=216181&is=REG
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2004, 02:38 PM   #5
New Boot

i'm using it to shoot a ski trip - so i was thinking cheaply anticipating that it may be misplaced or broken - thought fish eye would be a cool effect on the slopes!! thanks for your suggestions and help!
Chad Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2004, 08:45 PM   #6
Major Player

Raynox has some inexpensive fisheye lenses for the VX2?00/PD1?0. One is a bayonete mount (it clips on with spring-loaded clips) and a more expensive thread mount lens with 58mm threads. You can see them and their field of view on their website. Either will work for your camera. I bought mine, the bayonete mount, from 47st Photo (check Ebay stores or auctions). I got it cheaper than B&H.

47st Photo was a great place to buy from. Great prices, no high pressure and they offered some good advice on lenses. I had to return something and no sweat. I've ordered from them a couple times. I'd give them a shot:
http://stores.ebay.com/47stphoto

The bayonette mount seems to clip on pretty well. At first I thought it felt delicate and would fall off, but so far it hasn't. The nice thing is ya can quickly put on/off - great in some situations. Now, if you're going to ski down a hill with your PD150, I'd go with the thread mount for sure. But if you are going to be stationary the bayonette would probably work ok.

Mark G
Old January 10th, 2004, 11:26 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Kenko PRo and Century Optics (lots more $$$ but the best glass out there) have bayonet mount and frankly for over 2 years on 2 150's I've never had a problem with the bayonet mount. I personally do not like thread mounts because you can cross thread it and then you have a problem, plus the bayonet is faster and easier to put on and take off.

Of course this is only my opinion. Be careful what you buy has zoom thru capabilities and doesn't vignette the frame.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion