DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Handholding the Camera with wireless? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/19446-handholding-camera-wireless.html)

Law Tyler January 7th, 2004 11:16 PM

Handholding the Camera with wireless?

Just curious, how do you handhold the camera (when you need to) while shooting with presumably a large wireless receiver in the "usual" position, i.e. the handholding strap "holding" the receiver?

I am talking about VX2000, VX2100, PD-150, and PD-170, does not matter which one.

If not, then you have to velcro the large receiver somewhere. I find it hard to velcro a large receiver like Samson M32 when handholding it. The only position to velcro is the front-right side of the camera, the area (to velcro) which is still very small, fear it may drop at some point especially when I am moving.

So, how do you people do it?

Don Bloom January 8th, 2004 07:04 AM

I use a couple of different methods depending on what I'm doing.

1)I use non-name brand batteries with my 150's and the one I use sticks out about an inch past the back of the camera. I use velcro on the back of the battery that's about an inch wide. It holds my Azden 500UDR receiver quite well although I can't use the VF because the antenna are sticking up but if I turn the receiver to the right and lay it on the side I can use the VF in a vertical position.

2) I went to the local home improvement store and purchased a tool pouch that is just about a perfect fit for my receiver, it clips to my belt and I use a 4 foot XLR cable to connect the receiver to the camera. I have tried to use the pouch on the handstrap of the camera but it throws too much weight to the one side so I use the clip to the belt method.

Well, there you have Dons methods of carrying a wireless receiver on his PD150's. I bet there are other better methods but this works for me and I'm reasonably happy with them.
Don

Mark Williams January 8th, 2004 08:05 AM

Just a little off topic but take a look at this bracket that holds the receiver towards the front of the camera. I am actually thinking about using this to mount a Quickstream drive to my cam.

http://www.bracket1.com/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=284435&is=REG

Regards,

Mark Williams

Dan Brown January 8th, 2004 08:31 AM

This is a timely discussion, because I am struggling to decide between the Senn Ev100, the AT and the Sony UWP. The UWP has a hot-shoe mount that places it neatly in top of the cam, with diversity antennas that fold up and out for operation. It only weights 5 oz. I hear the Senn and AT might actually be better units, but the Sony is looking like the most practical choice for my tiny Pana DV camera. The Senn weights twice as much and the AT receiver is considerably larger.

Don Bloom January 8th, 2004 10:52 AM

Yeah, I've seen that bracket before as well as the BEC Group bracket. They both appear to be well made and seem like they would do the job but after looking at them carefully, I decided against them simply because I personally am fine with the pouch system I use AND the fact that on a V2K or PD150 the receiver really throws the camera out of balance. The 150 with a WA lens attachment and a on cam light and a Senn ME66 is already front heavy and quite out of balance and I just felt that adding the receiver to the right side of the camera and in the one case to the front the camera would be too awkward.

Using the pouch for my receiver (when I use a wireless at a reception-not too often) allows me to do whatever I like with the camera as far as turn twist and roll. At a ceremony I'm generally on a tripod or monopod so it doesn't matter where the receiver is and if I'm doing corporate run and gun and doing interviews I almost always use a wired mic, so for me the bracket didn't make a lot of sense.
But that's just me.
Don

Law Tyler January 8th, 2004 11:10 AM

Shoulder Rig?

I wonder if somebody can make a rig that will turn the PD-150 (or PD-170) into a shoulder-mount camera like DSR-250?

Then the rig can carry all the gadgets like light, large wireless or two, spare tapes, even a small mixer perhaps...

The only advantage I find for the DSR-250 is the shoulder-mount and ability to attach almost anything. Or am I wrong? Does the DSR-250 has more advantage over the PD-150? I presume DSR-250 uses the same lens and CCD.

Don Bloom January 8th, 2004 12:26 PM

In answer to your ?? about the 250-for the most part the camera is the same as the 150-glass,chips,electronics,focus BUT the 250 has the ability to use FS tapes as well as mini tapes, the audio circuitry is somewhat better (at least to my ears) and the iris control is definitely better.

As for a shoulder brace for the V2K/PD150-there are several models by different mfgrs out there. Personally I use the Studio1store/HabbyCam with a modification for the wireless receiver. The shoulder brace works well for me when I do run and gun corporate stuff like sales seminars,luncheons with speakers that drone on and on, certain areas of training & how to stuff etc.. It can make the camera easier to hang on to.
Now having said that, I do sometimes use a FS camera for that stuff but lately more and more I'm using the 150 with whatever means of support I need to get the shot, be it a tripod, monopod, shoulder brace or nothing at all. I have used the shoulder brace for wedding ceremonies but only when I know its a short one as after a time the arm starts getting tired-remember the 150 is front heavy to begin with and with a bunch of other stuff attached to it it can be very front heavy so you end up using your arm to push up instead of letting gravity help you pull down. That was the idea behind the bracket I made for the brace to hold the receiver as its well behind the camera and actually slightly behind my shoulder on the brace-it throws some weight to the rear and helps me hold it steady.
Anyway, as I said before, thats my take on things, I'm sure others will chime in also.
Don

Mike Rehmus January 8th, 2004 12:50 PM

Re: Shoulder Rig?

<<<-- Originally posted by Law Tyler : I wonder if somebody can make a rig that will turn the PD-150 (or PD-170) into a shoulder-mount camera like DSR-250?
-->>>

There are several shoulder mounts where the battery is held on the rear-most bit of the mount. Puts it over and behind your shoulder.

Some are inexpensive, some are rather pricey.

Anton Bauer is one.

Bryan Beasleigh January 8th, 2004 10:25 PM

Try the mighty wondercam mini rover. It gives you a comfortable and robust grip and a sturdy location to mount a receiver. The Might Wondercam allows you to tuck your elbows in and makes the camera and your upper body one rock solid support. No matter what shoulder mount you try, the weight will always be forward and not on the shoulder.

If you want a good mount then use the Marzpak.

Both of these topics have been discussed ad nauseum so a search will give you hours of reading. try the "Support your camera " forum as well.

Look at the mini rover in action and disregard the price. It's $50 at B&H. Don't cheap out on a $12 bracket, there is a big difference.

http://www.dvshop.ca/camera/videosmith.html

And the marzPak is the best of camera supports, it looks dorky but a cameraman with the shakes looks worse. For the money there is nothing like it.

http://www.marztech.com/

FYI
With either rig I can carry my vx2K, beachtek, ME66 shotgun, receiver, WA adapter and either Cavision rubber shade or the 4x4 bellows matt box. The mini Rover will hold any combination rock steady and for supper versatility the marpak can't be beat. With the Marzpak, I just mount the camera with Mini rover.

Even when i just use the camera and lens shade I still use the rover.

Mark Goodsell January 10th, 2004 09:26 PM

Dan,

Your concerns about the Sennheiser Evolution are valid. I use them and yes they are very high quality and rugged. But they are also quite heavy. If you frequently do weddings or events where other people are wearing the wireless mics, you will want that ruggedness as they will be falling on the floor and flopping around. Mounting the receiver on the camera adds a fair amount of additional weight, especially if you mount it towards the front like I do.

In my case, my wife and I are about the only ones that use our wireless mics. Rough handling is really a non-issue. Knowing that, if I were doing it again, I would buy a lightweight setup to cut weight and size. The other thing is that our Sennheisers have a tad more hiss than I would like. But I haven't used other wireless mics to compare with. Besides these minor issues, we've used them a lot and they have worked well for us. Interference has never been an issue (we haven't had to change channels. I wonder if interference is an overblown complaint), the audio is good and range also very good.

Finally, I made a bracket to mount the Sennheiser receiver on my VX2000 shoe. It works great. Although it adds to the weight of the front of the cam, we use two hands anyway so it hasn't been too much of an issue. My wife uses it too and she barely weighs more than 100 lbs. If anything, the extra weight helps steady the cam. Here are some pics:

http://www.chicagodigitalnetwork.com/pictures/wireless_on camera.jpg
http://www.chicagodigitalnetwork.com/pictures/wireless_mt_bottom.jpg
http://www.chicagodigitalnetwork.com/pictures/wireless_mt_bottom_2.jpg

Dan Brown January 12th, 2004 08:20 AM

Thanks Mark. That looks like a nifty adapter you made, obviously you have better fabrication skills than me :-) I like the little velcro safety strap. Another thing that is kinda attractive about the Sony is that it uses 'AA' batteries, which I already keep in my bag for some other gear.

Cheers...

Alan Christensen December 20th, 2004 01:47 AM

I had two accidents with my Senn wireless receivers at a wedding this past weekend. On two separate occasions the Senn came off the velcro that I used to attach it to the front of my camera and landed on the floor. One Senn landed on its antenna and bent it badly. It worked afterwards which seemed a miracle after a fall of 7 feet onto a hardwood floor. (I was on a step stool at the time). The second Senn came off a different camera and landed on the screw on mini cable where it stick out of the Senn. I suspect that it destroyed the cable. I didn't even bother to check it out as it was bent at an almost right angle--I just slapped on another cable. The receiver still worked, which again seemed a miracle. I guess these things are really built well. It is clear that my mounting technique is unacceptable. I'd like a setup like Mark's, only I'm not sure that I am handy enough to construct such a thing. I also need something that fits on both a VX-2000 and a PD-170 where the top is a bit obstructed by the microphone holder. Perhaps I'll go with Don's belt approach, but I'd really love to have something on the camera as it is so much more convenient when you set the camera down. Anyone else know of a good solution?

Don Bloom December 20th, 2004 07:29 AM

Bracket 1 makes a setup for the 2000/2100 and 150/170. Check out B&H under Wireless Mounts in the audio section.

Don B

Bob Harotunian December 23rd, 2004 01:20 PM

I've been mounting a Samson UM32 to the PD170's front right with velcro. Through dozens of weddings it has been secure. However, I'm using a Canon wide angle which provides more room to attach the receiver. Also, the UM32 is light and that helps.
Bob