PD-170 Car Charger Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

PD-170 Car Charger Question

I'm curious if anyone has a definitive answer about the car batter charger listed here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=details_accessories&A=details&Q=&sku=300449&is=REG

Does it simply power the camera or will it charge the battery while it's plugged in.

The canned description mention powering the camera while driving.

The specs talk about an output voltage in "charging mode," so this would seem to answer the question, but I'm wary of product copy.

Does anyone know for sure whether it will charge?

Thanks.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 09:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Why bother with that thing when for the same price you can get a power inverter for the car that gives you normal outlets you can plug your regular 170 stuff into and anything else that you might need. Some examples at this site but you can get them anywhere.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JGXuoeRMR7T/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=850
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 09:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Rob.

Thanks for you reply. The reason I would bother is that it looks lighter than the inverter I currently own - or almost any other inverter I've seen and, when I travel, size and weight are often a big issue when I pack.

Also, carrying an inverter, as well as the related chargers and wall warts, for my cell phone, digital battery charger and other stuff just adds up to too much.

After I posted, I remembered my old Lenmar Mach 1 charger, which I'd stopped using after I got my Nikon D100. As I remember, I have the adapter plate for Sony camcorders with it. That plugs into an AC and is small. More research.

But also, I'd appreciate an answer to my original question if anyone has it.

Take care.

Paul
Old February 2nd, 2004, 01:26 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Paul,
I can't say for sure if it will charge the battery as it powers the cam but I do know that battery on my 150's will charge if I'm plugged into the AC at a job (I have to be careful with that sometimes on longer seminars). I use the Lenmar batteries and the Mach 1 charger will charge the batteries from a cors cig lighter if you have the adapter cord to plug into the charger. It came with my charger and I think it was always an option.
I wish I could be more help, I probably told you what you already know and if I did, I'm sorry.
If you find out about the other charger you described please let us know.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2004, 03:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Just picked one up. It does, indeed, charge the battery.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion