Reverse that darn zoom ring at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old February 12th, 2004, 10:57 AM   #1
Major Player

Reverse that darn zoom ring

Does anyone know of a solution to reverse the direction of the zoom ring?

I use Nikon still camera (for many many decades), which has the zoom ring in the reverse direction. So every time I zoom on the Vx2100 or DSR-250, it goes the wrong way.

Since it is "by wire", seems to me it is pretty easy for Sony to have a software switch to reverse the direction of the ring.

Any idea? I must not be the only one using Nikon camera and Sony pro video cam?
Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2004, 04:16 PM   #2
Wrangler

We are not yet to the point of having individually set cameras. I expect it is coming but I can see the warranty and support headaches being severe.
Old February 12th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Guess I am going to put an even BIGGER sign on the Sony every time I used it, saying "ZOOM IN this way".
Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2004, 02:30 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah, I have this same problem, I've been using slr still cameras (all Nikons) since the mid 70's and have been using Sony video cams since early 90's. It still messes me up at times! My solution is to use the focus ring and a Varizoom remote for zoom. The only time I don't do this is when I am doing a slow crawl zoom and then it has to be planned out verrrrry welll!

Of course I'm getting too old to hold a camera so I let the young bucks take care of it now... :)

Doug
Doug Okamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #5
Major Player

On the VX, I keep telling myself over and over, "Pull it in" "Push away". Still mess up once each session.
Old February 14th, 2004, 09:31 PM   #6
Major Player

Guess again, I messed up EVERY time, even seconds after I tell myself not to.

Editing my raw footage when I had been using the zoom ring all day long is a NIGHTMERE.

(the ZR-1000 LANC controller has been helpful)

Darn it, I was so happy using the power zoom buttons until I got a hint in these forums that "pro's" use the ring instead. You people really messed me up... :-)

Harry, I hope your method works.
Law Tyler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion