DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   PD170: Gray Market vs. authentic USA model - Any way to distinguish between the two? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/21459-pd170-gray-market-vs-authentic-usa-model-any-way-distinguish-between-two.html)

Joe Prus February 16th, 2004 06:38 PM

PD170: Gray Market vs. authentic USA model - Any way to distinguish between the two?

Hello all,

I have a question that I cannot seem to get answered, not even by Sony:

Is there any way to tell the difference between a "gray market" PD170 versus a bona-fide USA model? Can you tell by the serial number (do they have different numbers)? Can you tell by the markings/numbers on the Sony factory box or the contents inside the box?

I want to make sure I get a USA model, not a gray market version that is being falsely sold as a USA model. Any information would be appreciated.

Joe Prus

Craig Seeman February 16th, 2004 08:55 PM

I suspect the serial number is key. In the old days you could check to see if there was a US warranty in the box but with so much "online" registration I'm not sure if that holds true any more.

A reputable dealer should be able to give you the serial number which is printed on the outside of the box. You can then call Sony and check. Often times just giving them the dealer name will set of a response.

Ken Tanaka February 16th, 2004 09:26 PM

Joe,
Craig hit the nail on the head: buying from a reputable dealer. If you're looking for a Sony camcorder buy from an authorized Sony dealer.

Our sponsors are good examples of rock-solid dealers manufacturer-authorized for their goods.

Monte Merritt February 25th, 2004 12:09 PM

differences

Yes, but what is the difference in quality/features between a gray market product and the U.S. version?
I'm new here, and I looked at the prices at B & H and was shocked. I was all set to buy the PD170 at Royal Camera for $2239, almost $1000 less. Is Royal Camera not a reputable dealer?

Monte

Ken Tanaka February 25th, 2004 12:17 PM

Royal Camera is most definitely NOT a reputable dealer. Search here for other threads on them. Also see ResellerRatings.com.

Calvin Chang February 25th, 2004 12:19 PM

Joe:

If it's too good to be true, then it's not true.

Otherwise, everybody(other venders) will be 'out of business'.

Calvin

Monte Merritt February 25th, 2004 12:44 PM

So what is the difference in quality/features between a gray market product and the U.S. version?

Ken Tanaka February 25th, 2004 01:13 PM

The term "gray market" refers to the practice of buying goods overseas outside the normal channels for resale domesitcally. Depending on the item there may not be any functional difference. You will not, however, receive a domestic warranty and probably will not be able to send it to a U.S. service center, either.