DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   should i sell my XL1s and buy a PD170 or VX2100? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/21531-should-i-sell-my-xl1s-buy-pd170-vx2100.html)

Afonso Campos February 17th, 2004 06:54 PM

should i sell my XL1s and buy a PD170 or VX2100?

Would this be a smart move? Please help me decide... I'm thinking of this, because the XL1s does not have an LCD, the headphone jack is VERY bad.. does not have an XLR input, and I do not need the ability to interchange the lenses...

Mike Rehmus February 17th, 2004 07:12 PM

It is hard to advise you without knowing what your requirements are in terms of subject matter.

I'd probably stick with the XL1S (and buy a manual lens) if I didn't need the low light capability of the 170.

The XL1S does have an optional XLR input although I don't know much about its functionality.

An add-on LCD wouldn't be too expensive either.

Tom Hardwick February 18th, 2004 12:43 PM

I tend to agree with Mike. You'll lose a lot of money in the switchover and this money could be better spent. How about a day's training? Or some software? Or another lens, or even a holiday?

There's nothing wrong with the XL1s. It may be ungainly to hold, have no side-screen, be so-so in low light and have a horrible focus ring, but the footage it produces is loved by many, so I'd say stick with it. But next time, ask first, ok?

tom.

Chris Sebes February 24th, 2004 01:33 PM

Now, my buddy/business partner is very steadfast on the XL1. I'd like to know what advantates/difference there are between the XL1 and the VX2100. I know the VX2100 has great low light capabilities. What else?

Thanks all.
Chris

Mike Rehmus February 24th, 2004 01:43 PM

I think you can get that information by searching the DVi Community forums. The big diffences can be found by looking at the data sheets for the two cameras.

Tom Hardwick February 25th, 2004 03:03 AM

Mike's right - the spec sheet will tell all. But if I'm asked, I'd point out the big differences. If you need interchangeable lenses then there's only one camera for you in this race - the XL1s will trounce the VX2k1 if you're off on safari, say, and need the reach of a long telephoto. The 16x zoom is one up on Sony's 12x zoom, but the cost of the Canon 3x wide-angle (which means you have to abandon OIS) is half that of an entire VX2k1, so it's an expensive way to go wide.

If low light is your thing, and a side-screen is imperative, then the Sony strikes home. It's also somewhat easier to hold but the lack of XLR inputs is a severe downer. I think you need to evaluate your shooting requirements and then decide, but remember this: whichever camera you buy the results will absolutely delight you, that's for sure. The potential energy in these machines is staggering, astounding.

tom.

David Hurdon February 25th, 2004 06:56 AM

I'm a happy VX2000 owner who recently had a friend's XL1 hooked up to the editing system. The images were excellent, perhaps a bit sharper than mine, but the VX does allow you to adjust your profile, including sharpness and colour. With the XLR adapter he captured audio from three mics to separate channels (12-bit), all of which I was able to capture thanks to an old copy of Raptor Edit, although I'm told that Scenalyzer Live will do it too, and both results work in Premiere (6.5), which is my NLE. He also showed me an adjustment in the viewfinder that shrinks the frame so you can see it from a little distance, helpful when following a speaker while riding audio. It's certainly not a replacement for an LCD but it's better than a fixed frame size.

David Hurdon