VX2100 toy at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old February 20th, 2004, 08:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

VX2100 toy

I've been considering buying a new VX2100 so I went to Frys to see, hold and play with the camera. I was surprised. So much plastic and the camera almost looked like a toy. I know many say they're very happy with the camera but it simply doesn't feel like a very solid camera. Another thing I found interesting was that my one chip Sony TRV520 camera and the VX2100 seem to be very much alike. Of course, my 520 is not a 3 chip camera but everyone who sees my video's are shocked as to how great the picture is. I even had 2 professionals watch one of my videos and they both said the picture looked like it was shot witrh a 3 chip camera. Anyway, is the VX2100 really as good as many say or should I consider another. Which other camera do well in low light? Please respond.

Rich

PS....By the way, the Sony TRV520 is discountinued but you can find a used one for less then $300.
Rich Sheikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2004, 08:53 AM   #2
Trustee

If your only requirement is a good low light capability, the VX2100 (or the PD-170) is definitely the way to go. But if you could post more details about your intended use of the camera, we should be able to offer more choice advices to you.
Old February 20th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #3
Wrangler

Each person has their own concept of 'toy,' I guess.

The case of the 2100 is magnesium and the camera and it's pro companion, the PD170 and their predecessors have a long history of absorbing the worst treatment and coming home with the video.

The PD150 is frequently used in Afganistan and Iraq, for example.

Stroll through the posts on this and other DV forums and you will find that the 2100 and its stablemates are the class act for most video applications.
Old February 20th, 2004, 03:08 PM   #4
Inner Circle

If you're buying at Fry's, do some serious negotiating. When I was shopping around for my VX2000, Fry's was selling it at full list price, $2999. After showing them some good web vendors and talking to the floor manager, I had the price down to $2300 for the base unit by comparing it to a Web unit for $2050. I ended up buying from a digitaletailer.com for less. Don't fall for the cheapie filter kit they try to sell you and negotiate on the Mack Warranty by comparing it to other places.
Also, negotiate on the shipping, which is usually beefed up.
Since these places seem to count 2 day shipping from the time the, ahem, "order is filled", I bet they ship immediately and just rip you off on the faster shipping.
These days, I prefer to buy from a reputable place like B&H .
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2004, 07:26 AM   #5
Major Player

I have a Sony TRV 525 and a VX2000. I bought the big boy after cutting footage from a trip to Portugal in 2001. Although low light was a key decision point for me, the overall clarity and resolution from the VX2000 is quite noticably better to my eye.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion