Old vs New (DSR-250 vs VX2100) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old February 21st, 2004, 08:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Old vs New (DSR-250 vs VX2100)

I use two cameras -- the DSR-250 as the main camera and most of the time with the VX2100 as the secondary camera.

It has become obvious that the color is a bit different, especially indoor. The DSR-250 is a bit warmer, while the VX2100 is cooler.

Anybody with the similar situation? Any comment?

Of course, I want the two camera to produce the same color, wonder if I should go get a PD-150?
Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2004, 09:41 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You can adjust the 2 cameras to match about 99.999% without having to go get another new camera. Of course if you want to get a new cam...

You shouldn't have a great deal of difference between them, use custom presets. Make sure to use a GOOD monitor.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2004, 11:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Dan, thanks.

Have not done this preset before, do you have to do it once for the two camera (or adjust one to fit the other, I suppose), and that is it or do you have to adust it for every new lighting condition?

I don't have any monitor, so I guess if I am going to do this, probably better be sure.
Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:59 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You should only have to set it once to match the 2 cameras. Without a monitor then at least hook up to a TV, use the same one for both cameras (one at a time) run some tape thru each camera after making adjustments just to make sure the adjustmenents are right.
It really isn't too hard a process with those cameras to get them close as they use pretty much the same glass and electronics
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2004, 01:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

When doing the adjustment of one camera to match the other, make sure you manually white balance the two cameras in the same light that you are using to calibrate them. I have used a regular TV as a monitor with good results.

Also when you shoot your actual video at the event, you must always white balance the cameras under the same light using the same white sheet of paper. If you shoot using auto white balance, then it is more dificult to get the cameras to match across a spectrum of lighting conditions.
Alan Christensen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion