DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   PD150 not used for 3 months (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/22423-pd150-not-used-3-months.html)

Stylianos Moschapidakis March 4th, 2004 11:49 PM

PD150 not used for 3 months

Just rented a PD150 which seems to be in very good condition but its owner hasn't used it for about three months now. He says he's kept the camera in its case and periodically turned on the power. Since it's been three months from the last time the camera was used, is there something that I should do before I start shooting/playing back tapes?

Thank you.

Frank Granovski March 5th, 2004 12:13 AM

Dust it off and then run a cleaning tape through it for 5 to 7 seconds.

Glen Elliott March 8th, 2004 01:15 PM

Is this normal- in other words do you have to run a cleaning tape if there are large periods of time between using the camera?!

Richard Maloney March 15th, 2004 09:22 AM

I'm no technician by any means, but I think you clean the heads when they are dirty or some maintenance program like a car and the least the better.
While we are at it, is tapes the good way to clean these heads or qTip + proper cleaning solution?

Stylianos Moschapidakis March 15th, 2004 10:03 AM

According to the manual, "...periodically turn on the power, operate the CAMERA and VCR sections and play back a tape for about three minutes when your camcorder is not to be used for a long time." So, I think I would agree with Glen and Richard and say that in my case running a cleaning tape is not necessary.

As for cleaning the heads, most people seem to agree that using a cleaning tape is not the best way unless there is no other choice. I have never cleaned my pd150's heads manually but I would be very interested in learning how to do it too. I do understand that that way you void the warranty but if someone is willing to explain to us how to do that in detail, that'd be great.

Mike Rehmus March 15th, 2004 10:28 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Richard Maloney : I'm no technician by any means, but I think you clean the heads when they are dirty or some maintenance program like a car and the least the better.
While we are at it, is tapes the good way to clean these heads or qTip + proper cleaning solution? -->>>

Never use a Q-Tip on the heads. You can either damage them by getting a thread caught or you can leave a thread behind and make a mess.

The propler cleaning tool for heads is chamois. Either on a stick (they sell them that way) or a cloth that you use wrapped around the tip of your finger. DV drums being small almost demand the stick approach.

Sony recommends first using a cleaning tape for no more than 5 seconds per application.

DV tape formulation seems to be a lot cleaner than the old VHS & S-VHS formulations that had us cleaning heads a lot. I have cameras that are 8 years old now and have never had a cleaning tape run through them. Just the same brand of tape.

Richard Maloney March 20th, 2004 10:53 PM

thanks Mike, I probably would have used a Q-tip @ some point :)

Frank Granovski March 20th, 2004 11:23 PM

I only suggested using a cleaning tape because it's a used cam, and you don't know what's been run through it.

Mike Rehmus March 21st, 2004 12:28 AM

And is a very good idea when you don't know the history.