PD170 mic vs. mic att settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old March 15th, 2004, 02:13 AM   #1
New Boot

PD170 mic vs. mic att settings

Hi. Can someone please help me with the mic settings. My question is what is the difference between mic and mic att and when would one use or not use each setting.

I just bought a PD170 and did some testing on the various mic settings and it seems to me that the best sound comes with the settings at mic att with +48V on and with the sound levels manually adjusted through ‘audio level’ turning AGC off. The mic setting seems to produce much higher sound levels (without any adjustments) but there seems to be more hissing and background noise.

I also changed the preset audio settings from the menu from +32K to +48K. Will this have any effect on the +48V switch. Thank you.
Abby Djin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2004, 10:31 AM   #2
Wrangler

The attenuator does exactly what it says. It attenuates the sound level by 10 dB. In a very loud environment or with a really hot microphone you may need to use it.

The 23/48K refer to the sample rate of the audio circuit and has nothing to do with 48 Volt phantom power.
Old March 15th, 2004, 03:32 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks very much Mike for your response on this and my zoom ring problem. I guess my zoom ring is faulty.

Does it make more sense to set the input level to 'mic' rather than 'mic att' (with manually adjusted sound levels) in normal (not very loud settings)? I seemed to hear more hissing at the 'mic' setting.

Thanks again.
Abby Djin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2004, 04:48 PM   #4
Wrangler

You are hearing more room sound, that's all AFAIK. I normally don't use the -10 dB setting with a microphone but with feeds I get from sound boards. They are invariably, in output level, right between line and microphone. Sometimes the -10 is enough and sometimes I have to insert a -10 dB pad in series with the cable.

Mainly, I suspect, because of the difference in reference levels between the equipment.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion