DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   PD170 Line noise when no mic connected (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/235516-pd170-line-noise-when-no-mic-connected.html)

Edwin Rutsch May 17th, 2009 02:31 PM

PD170 Line noise when no mic connected

I was dealing with some audio problems with my pd170. I noticed that when there is no mic connected to either inputs and I turn up the levels to 100%, that I hear line noise.

you can see the wave form here.
pd170 audio problem wave form

when there is no Mic connected to input 1 or input 2,

Levels turned up above 60%
and the levels are turned up high, above 60 or 70%,
then there is a background noise in the ear phones and on the tape audio.
first part wave from below is level up high, about 100%,
someone told me there is always pre amp noise, but is this normal?

with level around 50%
I don't hear the line noise
but if I tape and import the clip, then up the gain 20 db or so, I see the line noise.
in both cases you can see background noise.
Below is is the wave form expanded way up.

on the line is a periodic brrrrrrrrrttt ------ brrrrrrrrrttt - sound

I saw there was old problem with line noise on pd170 when opening the flipout lcd, but this audio noise happens all the time.

Problem 2 - Sennheiser K6 and ME 64
the other problem I have is with a Sennheiser K6 and ME 64
there's a loud hum. when I replace the k6 modual with another one it goes away.

thanks for any help on this.

edwin

John Peterson May 18th, 2009 05:46 AM

If this camera was serviced, I would suspect a short in the handle somewhere.

If not, it may be a problem with the microphone noise reduction feature.

John.

Edwin Rutsch May 18th, 2009 05:56 PM

the camera came with that defect.

I checked with a friend that has the pd150 and you can hear the background white noise, but there is no Brrrrrrrrrt sound.

Then, I just checked when I bought the pd170. it was
03/21/2005

I then pulled out a tape from a couple months after that, and can you believe it. It had the same sound. It wasn't as bad, it is more even in the wave form hidden in the background noise.. Now it has those higher plateaus.

So it looks to me like the camera came with that defect. I just never noticed it since it's hidden in the back ground and I never upped the db levels that much. It's just gotten worse over time.

John Peterson May 19th, 2009 07:32 PM

I have to admit, the wave form and the brrrrrrrrrttt ------ brrrrrrrrrttt - sound you describe reminds me an awful lot of the noise from cell phone interference as it looks for a signal.

Any chance of that?

Also, can you turn off the mic noise reduction?

John

Edwin Rutsch May 22nd, 2009 10:17 AM

Cell and Noise reduction

john

I don't think it's the cell phone.. the sound is consistent and goes back to 2005.

I did try noise reduction on and off with no difference.

since the camera seems to have come with this, I wonder that no one else has this problem.. Back then, 2005 - there was a line noise problem that people wrote about when the LCD window was open.. I wonder if there is some relationship to that problem?

Edwin