Cellphones and the PD170 don't mix at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 1st, 2004, 12:30 PM   #1
Wrangler

Cellphones and the PD170 don't mix

Was playing with my PD170 last night and my cell phone (in my pocket began to ring) the PD170 started giving of a shuttering vibration like the lens was going bonkers. I've heard somewhere before that cellphones can cause interference with the 150/170's steadyshot funtion. I guess this is true, if that was what I was "feeling". I have to admit, it's a bit odd feeling the camera vibrate in your hand for the first time. Hope I didn't damage anything!
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 02:31 PM   #2
Trustee

My Motorola phone messes up my PC audio and my Sony consumer 520 (this has an electronic stabilizer). Cell phones do not mix with a bunch of electronics.

So, no, it is not just picking on your PD-170. ;)
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 03:00 PM   #3
Wrangler

Oh I know -that-, I mean my cell phone can make unshielded speakers buzz loudly. I'm just worried that the "way" it affected my camera. UGH- felt like it was getting ready to self destruct...lol. I guess I just worry about it fouling up the already nominal steady shot.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 05:44 PM   #4
Wrangler

Sony actually replaced my 150 with a new unit because of this problem. That didn't do any good because the fault is in the design. Not only does the camera literally vibrate but the bang is picked up on an on-board microphone and, of course, the picture visibly jumps as well.

It is even worse if you ride in a Police Car as I do from time-to-time. Even at 20 feet the transmitters can cause the SS to act up. The only cure is to turn SS off.

The reason is that the camera is susceptable to EMP. Caused in part, I'd guess because the camera is consumes very little power and one way they achieve that goal is to have the logic circuits run well below 5 volts. Probably under 3 volts. Make the circuits much more susceptable to electrical 'noise.'

As long as you don't let it go on for very long, you (and the camera) should be OK.
Old April 1st, 2004, 05:49 PM   #5
Major Player

Interesting.

How much does the SS help any way, while the PD-170 or even DSR-250 is on a solid tripod?

The only time they say to turn it off is when you are shooting a stationary object on a tripod, but I wonder if shooting anything on the tripod applies too? (that is turning it off)
Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 06:00 PM   #6
Wrangler

You really don't want it on when the camera is on a tripod. Even moving around with the camera, if you look closely, you will notice that the camera's image continues to move after you've stopped moving the camera body. When the camera is on a tripod and you are doing a pan or tilt, it is very noticable.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion