Memory Stick Mattes - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old June 16th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #76
Major Player

It just won't read the images

The images I've placed on the memory stick are JPEGs, they are of the correct resolution and they are definitely on the stick but the camera still says "no file." On another note, my typical program that I use for downloading and uploading images doesn't recognize the drive so I copied and pasted the images into the drive that the memory stick was represented as. Does this make a difference?
Dave Dodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #77
Major Player

Repost of previous Memory Mix problem that wasn't solved

I recently bought a Sony 128MB Memory Stick for use in my PD170. I use a Scandisk media reader/writer (works with compact flash, xd, memory stick, etc) and I'm having some issues. Firstly, I AM able to put the JPEGs on the stick, but only by dragging or copying and pasting into the stick's folder on the C:Drive (on a PC). My usual digital camera software doesn't recognize the stick, even though the computer reads it and assigns it a drive letter. For whatever reason, even though I can drag it and paste it in the folder, when I put the stick in the camera, it says "no file." I put it back in the computer and it's still there.
What's going on?
Old June 26th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #78
Wrangler

Hi Dave, sorry you haven't found a solution yet. I've merged this post with your existing thread so we can keep everything in the same place.

Have you tried doing all this using the little memory stick that came with the camera (my VX-2000 had something like a 4MB stick included)? I know there are several varieties of memory sticks, and am not sure whether the PD-170 can accept memory stick pro: http://www.memorystick.com/en/ms/variety.html

Evidently the memory stick pro doesn't work on the PDX-10 which is a similar generation Sony pro camcorder: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=10488

I also found this old thread, but the problem was related to a larger memory stick: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=63165

Do you have any other kind of device to test your memory stick on (still camera, VX-2000, a different computer, etc)? Seems like you need to verify that it isn't defective for starters.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #79
Major Player

For some reason, the 170 doesn't come with a memory stick or software that I've heard the 150 did have. I made sure with Sony that the memory stick I was going to buy was the correct type and size. The camera reads the stick and takes pictures on it, but it won't read the ones I put on the stick from my computer. I can't figure it out.
Just to reiterate, the stick is the right kind and size and does register in the camera and the camera will capture stills onto the stick. The images are JPEGs and are the correct resolution for what I want to do (put widescreen black bars over the captured video using the memory mix function). I'm using a PC.
Any thoughts?
Old June 27th, 2006, 01:19 AM   #80
Trustee

the 170 does come with a memory stick, but perhaps, like me, you threw it out with the packing....

bought a sony 8mb memory stick - all ok.

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 08:32 AM   #81
Major Player

I did a really thorough check of the packing and looked at the manual's list of included items/accessories and there was no stick in either. Whether there was or wasn't, the case is that I do now have a memory stick that works in the camera, but the camera won't recognize the files I've put on there. It works in every other respect (taking stills with the camera).
Old June 27th, 2006, 08:42 AM   #82
Wrangler

Have you tried copying files using another computer? That could narrow the problem down to a software issue on your PC, which seems like the likely culprit based on what you're saying.
Old June 24th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #83
New Boot

getting pics off memory stick

i just got my VX2100, and i seem to be unable to figure out how to get pictures off of the stick.

anybody?
i tried to put it into an SD reader, but quickly found out it didn't fit. hahaha.

also, i am having trouble capturing on Final Cut Express HD.
could you give me a quick runthrough of how to do it correctly, haha.

thanks!
Nick Boxler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #84
Obstreperous Rex

You need a Memory Stick card reader. Very similar to your SD card reader, except for the fact that it's compatible with the Memory Stick form factor (not sure why you thought a Secure Digital card reader would accept Memory Sticks). Anyway you can get a Memory Stick card reader just about anywhere these days... Walgreens, CVS, WalMart, Target, Radio Shack, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. etc. -- hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #85
New Boot

ohh, alright.
thanks man!
Nick Boxler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #86
Regular Crew

memory mix question

Hi once again, I have a bit of a question although its probably me being a muppet.

I have downloaded a .psd file of black bars, my plan is to overlay them by memory mixing on my 2100 so i can frame correctly (thanks to a tip I found on this forum). I have tried exporting the file as both .bmp and .jpg but the 2100 doesn't pick it up, says "no images on card" or words to that effect.

I have tried colouring the background of the file blue and leaving the bars black, but i can't seem to get the image displayed on the lcd.

I have even tried copying a photograph to the card to display it but still the same.

What's wrong?

Thank you
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #87
Inner Circle

Here is post I made in an earlier thread:

I am attaching mask I use. I am not guarantying it is exact aspect, but you can make your own in Photoshop. Load the mask on your memory chip and put it in camera.

For the VX2000, I would then start camera up in 4:3 mode, select memory mix. In the lower corner, you will see the current image in memory. Hit the + or - next to memory mix to go through available images, until you hit the mask. Make sure memory mix setting is using M.Chrom by using selector wheel at back of camera. Once you got image and m.chrom selected, press in on selector wheel, and the two images will mix, leaving you with black bars at top and bottom, but still with a 4:3 image.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...1&d=1188191361
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #88
Wrangler

Are you using a Mac perhaps? There's something incompatible about the file types the VX/PD use, but evidently there are some other issues also. See the following: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=69672
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #89
Regular Crew

OK, i worked out that "no images on card" actually was because my mask (and any other pics) were not saved in the DCIM/100MSDCF folder, and were not called DSC0000x.

I took a snap with the camera and loaded it into photoshop so I got the right sized image, put black bars at the top and bottom, turned the bkgrnd blue, then mixed it. (saved as jpg) I got a tiny square in the centre of my guide frame and the rest of the image was black. I didn't really know what I was doing. In the meantime, Chris had replied with his template. I tried this (had to rename it - wouldn't regonise it otherwise) followed Chris' instructions about m.chrom exactly, but I still got the small centre image and the rest of the screen masked.

I am using a PC Boyd, I'll check your thread link out now...

Thanks for the help so far...
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:44 PM   #90
Regular Crew

A solution

Sorry I'm posting in this thread, its an old thread but I am having problems similar to this and this link was given to me to read.

It seems that you have to save the files created on PC into the DCIM folder, another folder called 100MSDCF and in the format of DCF0000x.jpg

I can now create mattes in photoshop and the vx2100 will now recognise the files.

Sorry if you know this already (the thread is a year old) but there was no solution.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion