Pd170 & Me66 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 6th, 2004, 12:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Pd170 & Me66

For those that own a PD and ME66. What do guys do to make the ME66 fit in the mic holder of the PD? Do you all use a gaffer tape on the mic. Is there a mic holder I could buy for the PD that will fit the ME66?

For those that own both the PD and DVX or 80. I use to own a DVX but sold it before I got the PD. I was wondering if the mic holder for the DVX would fit or modified to work with the PD?

JR
Ray Saavedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 05:06 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I've used an ME64 on my PD150 but not the ME66. For mounting I removed the rubber surround on the supplied NV1 mic and wrapped that around the ME. The ME is slightly larger in diameter and is a snug fit. One problem with this is that it tends to pick up motor whine from the camera which can be minimised a bit by loosening off the mounting screw :(.

In the end I bought a MZS6 'shockmount' and mounted it on the hotshoe with the NV1 mic left in place. Not quite as good as a proper rubberband mount but ok for what I was using it for.
Jon McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 06:16 AM   #3
Inner Circle

You can use the Sony CAC12 mic holder which is slightly longer than the stock holder, has a thicker rubber collar and is adjustable so you can keep the ME66 out of the shot and the motor noise away from it.
It's about $175.00 from B&H OR look around on the favorite online auction site and sometimes you find them there.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:01 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm using me64s on my pd170 and PDX10. For use in the stock shock mount, I line the mount with strips of unwanted mouse pads. Works like a charm.

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:15 PM   #5
Trustee

Lightwave make a few variations of their minimount. one would hook onto the hotshoe and I believe they have one that attaches to the mic mount.

http://www.lightwavesystems.com/products/minimount/default.htm
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 02:25 PM   #6
Major Player

I have also unwrapped the rubber molding from the stock PD-150 mike and put it on the ME-66.

Another option would be to make your own from a used bicycle inner tube and a piece of gaffer's tape.
Brian Standing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 05:27 PM   #7
Wrangler

Rubber bands work very well. Just wrap them around the microphone body.
Old August 16th, 2004, 03:51 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Lightwave Minimount for PD170

The Lightwave website shows a version of the Minimount designed specifically for the PD150/170, to replace the camera's mic holder, similar to the CAC-12 (but about 30 bucks cheaper).
I'd be interested in comments on this from anyone who has used it.
I'm looking for a good way to mount my AT 835B on my 170. Perhaps because of the length of this mic, neither rubber bands, the NV1 collar, nor gaffer tape provides a firm grip. The front of the mic wiggles too much for my comfort while handholding the cam.
Allen Brodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 07:23 AM   #9
Major Player

Have a look at this Rycote Multimount. (Scroll down to some pics.)
Martin Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 08:53 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks, but what I'm asking for is info about a replacement for the mic holder, leaving the hotshoe free. The Rycote is one of a number of shockmounts that fit in the hotshoe.
Allen Brodsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion