Audio Adapters for VX2000 - advice please! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 8th, 2004, 09:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio Adapters for VX2000 - advice please!

I am looking to upgrade the audio on my VX2000. Being green, I bought the Sony ECM-HS1... well, actually ordered it before I discoverred this website, much to my dismay. Needless to say, I am stuck with one crappy mic.

After much research in this website, I have reached the conclusion that I should just upgrade my audio... two names came up alot. Beachtek and Sennheiser. Specifically Beachtek DXA-4 and the Sennheiser ME66/K6. I haven't really read up on the Sennheiser... I stopped after reading about the Beachtek (at their website beachtek.com). I guess the Beachtek is made for the VX2000.

I like what I read about the Beachtek DXA-4. It seems like the one I should get. There are no local dealers in Ohio so I could mail order it. However, before I do anything, I am asking for advice!

Your opinions are appreciated! Thanks.
Linda Schodowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 05:32 PM   #2
Wrangler

I'd tell you that I like the Sign Video adapter a lot. I bought them when they were sold by Studio 1 and I've bought them directly from Sign Video. Solid, quiet and never any problems.

One cannot say that about some of the Beachtek models in times past. I have no direct experience with their current products.
Old April 8th, 2004, 05:53 PM   #3
Outer Circle

Linda, if you really want to improve your VX2000's audio, read this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=23133

Here is a review of the new Beachtek DXA8 adaptor:

http://www.dvfreelancer.com/articles/beachtekDXA-8.html
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 06:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

improving my vx2000's audio

Frank,

I never had a problem with the Hiss. My vx2000 was "born" in 2002... post Hiss perhaps?

I just want to upgrade the quality all around. I plan to do more than just the family gathering type thing. I want a more professional sound.
Old April 8th, 2004, 06:27 PM   #5
Outer Circle

This Greg Winter BBC fix improves the audio greatly. I just thought I'd mention it because it is one of the options available to VX2000/PD150 owners.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 07:55 PM   #6
Regular Crew

ME66 is used a lot and is hot (which is what you want if you are not going to use a preamp), it is expensive.
I'm wondering what is the best bang for bah. Here is 2 setups:

Beachtek DXA-4 150, me 66 400, windscreen 50= 600

Or, get the beachtek with the preamp and send it and camera for modification, and exchanging the me66 for the Octava mic and cheaper windscreen.

Greg Winter mod 200 + Greg Winter cables 25 or so,
Octava mic 100, Beachtek DXA-6 250, homemade windscreen 10
=600

OR a third

An me66 or 64, straight in. That will get you going I think. Power the mic from its batteries instead of the beachteks 9v battery. You just need a xlr to mini-plug adapter. (The beachteck only lowers volume)
I think this third option would work fine for a hot mic. And if the mic ain't hot you will need a preamp in any case. Hope this helps a bit and is good info?

(I had Greg's modification done to my cam at your stage and am 101% happy and wish you as much pleasure.)

Old April 8th, 2004, 08:26 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Frank and Richard...

Thank you for the advice on Greg Winter. I will look into it. I thought it just had to do with the "hiss" thing.

Richard... your information seems like it would be helpful... but I am not very well versed in audiological terminology! Could you help me out here?

I am looking at a price range.... $250?
Old April 8th, 2004, 09:11 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Linda. My suggestion is to bite the bullet and get the Senn mic for now. Live with it for awhile, and maybe get a fishpole for it eventually. Good micing techniques will do more to improve your sound than most of the gadgets. You must get within three feet of your subject for good sound.

Later, if you feel you need to upgrade to other gear, you still have a good quality mic.

Wayne
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 10:55 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Could she go straight in with a me66/me64?
That way u get a mount and short xlr cable>xlr-2-mini-adapter and good to go! Then you see how good the audio is.

And u could boom it, with an xlr extension cable.
Here is an affordable good boom pole for you :)
http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/pole.html
Richard Maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 11:05 PM   #10
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Richard Maloney :
Or, get the beachtek with the preamp and send it and camera for modification, and exchanging the me66 for the Octava mic and cheaper windscreen.-->>>

The BeachTek DXA-8 does not have line level out so it can not be used with the VX2K Mod. You must use a line level preamp. I had the mod done and use a mixPre or a 302.

Step 1
If you want to upgrade slowly, then go woth the ME66 and use a $9.50 cable to connect to the camera. I used to use one before the modifications. Frank g uses one, it's cheap and it works.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=160633&is=REG

Save your money and don't bother with the passive beach.

Step2
For a few bucks more than the DXA-6 (beach Tek with Phantom @ $250) you can buy a the beach that Richard mentioned. the DXA-8 will
1. attach to the bottom of the camera
2. supply 48 volt phantom to each channel
3. boost each channel by 15 db (preamp) This boost allows you to run the on camera preamp at 20-25% gain.
4. will allow limiting of each channel

You will now be able to use just about any mic that you'd like.

You won't have to buy a $400 ME66 to get the high out put required to keep the VX2K's preamps from overworking ( and createing the dreaded hissssssssss)

You also won't have to depend on battery operated mics

You'll have limiters that will "compress" the occasional noisy outburst. this limiter will prevent you fro loosing valuable audio.

With the DXA-8 you can even run a Dynamic hand mic with no problem. before my mods I used the Oktavas with the DXA-8.

For more of a write up on the Beach follow Franks link

For some different mic clips to show you what you could work with go to this link. Compare the ME66 to some of the other mics. With no preamplification you're missing out on some inexpensive but really nice sounding mics.

http://www.dvfreelancer.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

I did live with the ME66 and the Evolution for a year and a half and it's workable and not bad. Once I went with external preamplification my whole world opened up.

Now I have the BBC/GregWinter mod (my camera was done the week before Richards) I have the best sound that a camera can get. To have Greg modify your camera is much cheaper than shipping the camera to the UK and paying the BBC.

It's $200 plus shipping and a Mix Pre is $700. So about $1050 plus tax. the PD150 costs $100 more.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 11:12 PM   #11
Wrangler

Linda, if your budget is around $250, then take a look at the Audio Technica 835b microphone. You can get it for around $240 from B&H. It is a good microphone that will allow you to do pro-level work without breaking the bank.

Another option for around $280 is their new short shotgun, the AT897, which is shorter and just as good if not a bit better.

If you stroll over to the audio Forum, you will find that Douglass thinks they are OK microphones.

You should be able to operate with a XLR to mini cable. A plain cable from any number of sources including AT will do just fine. All of the XLR adapter boxes except for the one Beachtek with the preamp are passive and won't do anything more for you than the cable in most cases.

This arrangement is also a lot more compact.

A cable should cost somewhere under $40.

You will require a shockmount that will adapt to your camera. A simple search on this site will find lots of good answers to the question, 'which one?'
Old April 9th, 2004, 01:14 AM   #12
Trustee

The link to B&H for a cable was included in my loooooooooog post.
The cable is only $9.50 .

The output on the AT 835 and the 897 , is is only 9 or 10 mv. While the mics are excellent, the low output requires a high gain setting on the VX2000 preamp. This caused a hiss that was unacceptable to me.
Old April 9th, 2004, 11:11 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Taking into account all info I got so far...

I am thinking of perhaps looking at second hand stuff? Maybe Sennheiser and Beachtek... or other stuff that has been suggested? Or maybe new stuff, but the cheaper stuff suggested to me. My vx2000 is second hand and bought in pristine condition... did I luck out on that?

One thing about the Greg Winter modification... not to discredit him or anything, but I wonder if my warranty from Sony would still be good if there were problems down the line with my camera? Anybody know about that?

Oh... and I am flexible about the price... just a little though!;)
Old April 9th, 2004, 01:02 PM   #14
Trustee

The BBC mod is for the die hard and is not something entered into lightly. It's also way out of your stated budget. If your camera is used , it's doubtful that you have a warranty. Also, unless it's an audio problem, the tech would never notice.

That said, your available options are limited to high output mics if you go with a passive device like the beach tek DXA4 or DXA6 or the adapter cable. The passive matching devices aren't necessary, I've used the simple $9.50 cable and it works well. Save your money for something that will give you some bang for your buck.

The money spent on a DXA-8 ($370)or a sound devices MP1 ($300) would be an investment that would broaden your capability. These are current devices and likely wouldn't be available used.

If you did go with a preamp then you could look at lots of inexpensive new and used mics.

With preamplification and phantom you could use the Rode NT3 ($152), NT5 ($300 a pair) , The Oktava MCO12 ($100-$190), the AT 815, 835b and 897 ($240-$280)

Without preamp you have one of the K6 series Sennheisers. You could get away with the AT if you mic'd very close .
Old April 9th, 2004, 06:34 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the info Bryan. Funny... my very first post here a dvinfo was back in February when I first bought my crappy mic. You responded to me back then (I just checked my old posts). You are pretty consistent with your advice.

Audio Technica... I will research this. I also am seeing what others have to say about Beachtek, Octava, Sennheiser, or anything else.

Not to get off topic, but I need to know so I can make more sense out of the advice here. I am VERY audio terminology challenged. What is meant by "preamp" and "phantom power"?

Thanks again, and I am still open to more suggestions/advice!
Linda Schodowsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion