VX2100 anomoly with Beachtec (any mini-jack?) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 26th, 2004, 09:56 AM   #1
Trustee

VX2100 anomoly with Beachtec (any mini-jack?)

I found something interesting that everyone may already know, or not.

I have a Beachtec DX8A. I went to use the in-camera mike the other day and switched the mic switch to the built-in setting. I got a visual indication of level, but when I went to play the tape, no audio. The Beachtec was off all this time.

I did a reset and it worked. Later, it was not working! This time, I had the headphones and confirmed I did not have audio. I unplugged the mini-jack from the Beachtec and the internal was working again. This was not the behavior I was expecting.

Forewarned is forearmed...
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 10:02 AM   #2
Major Player

Unless its changed on the 2100 the internal mic will not operate with something plugged into the mini jack.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 10:04 AM   #3
Wrangler

I think it is working as expected. I've never found an external input connector for audio signals or power that did not cut off the internal device, microphone or battery (unless it is also the method to charge the battery).

When the mini-jack is plugged in, it literally opens the switches from the built-in microphones to the input circuitry.
Old April 27th, 2004, 06:19 PM   #4
Trustee

That over ride function is pretty well standard with any mini input and not just cameras. I think there is a logic input to the audio control and not an actual signal break. Even with my preamps bypassed and my inputs rerouted, I have to keep a dummy plug in the jack. If I use the internal mic i have to remove the dummy.
Old May 12th, 2004, 02:23 AM   #5
Major Player

I've had a couple of Sony Hi-8 camcorders, as old as from 1992, that didn't use the mechanical, internal mike disconnect system, activated by the physical presence of a plug in the external jack. They operated on the basis of detecting an incoming audio signal in the jack and only then shutting down the internal mike. I tested this carefully to determine that the internal mike still worked, when a dead plug was in the jack. Some of the current models may use the same "smart-circuit" shutoff system. This can be an advantage, as if your external mike goes out, you still have audio from the internal mike. On the other hand, it can keep you from quickly realizing that there's trouble with the outboard mike. It would be helpful to test your camcorder to see which shutoff method it uses.

Steve McDonald
Steve McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:14 AM   #6
Trustee

Well, one would think that if you have a switch next to the jack that specifies internal, off or input... Go figure.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:46 AM   #7
Wrangler

Maybe I don't understand since I have a VX-2000 and Beachtek DXA-4. In this case the switch next to the jack says MIC and LINE. Its function is to set the level of the jack, not to select the the builtin mike. For the DXA-4 to work you need to set the switch to MIC level. As others have said, you can't use the builtin mike when something is plugged into that jack.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 06:17 PM   #8
Trustee

You are correct. I was not remembering it correctly. ESO (Equipment Superior to Operator).
George Ellis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion