GL1 or VX2000? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old July 30th, 2002, 06:47 PM   #16
New Boot

well, i just received my gl2 today. so. decision made. but thanks for the feedback. i'm still playing with it and finding my way around, but i'm sure i'll be back soon with some inane question or two. so far so good, though....

thanks again to everyone for your help in making this purchase.
wallflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2002, 08:22 PM   #17
Wrangler

To condem a product line for one person's experience seems a bit short-sighted to me. Yes, that was a nightmare. But the vast majority have had good experiences with Sony just as you had with Canon.

You pay your money and make your choice (or the other way around) and it is a crap-shoot in some ways.

That's why people like Armatos in NY do well even though they charge more than B&H. I don't believe, based on all the reports I've heard, that one of their customers would go through that nightmare.
Old July 30th, 2002, 08:34 PM   #18

It isn't just one person's experience. You said yourself, "Sony isn't too well known for their quick and agile repair work."

I said what I said based on what I know and what I've read and what I've heard. It's just my opinion, and, like noses, everybody's got one.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2002, 09:10 PM   #19
Wrangler

The bad stories abound about both Canon and Sony.

But I'll just go off an abuse my self in the corner for a while.
Old July 30th, 2002, 09:16 PM   #20

Be gentle. ;o)
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2002, 07:53 PM   #21
PlanetNEO

You'd blow off a whole product line because one person had a bad experience? It sounds like you bought the XL previously anyway.

I've shot my VX side by side with a GL-1 and there's no comparison. The Sony blows it away. Not just a little better, a lot better. In low light the difference is even more apparent. And it wasn't just me, it was a whole room full of people watching on a studio monitor.

Would be nice if Sony paid more attention to service, though. There's not much argument Canon is better in that department. Sony service doesn't just suck on camcorders, it extends to everything they make.

Hey, Beaser!
Old August 2nd, 2002, 12:00 PM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

Mike is quite right, and both Sony and Canon, all manufacturers in fact, could stand to improve their service and support infrastructures.

In the long run, the "right camera" is the one which feels best in your hands and whose video looks most appealing to your eye when viewed on a proper monitor. Everything else, including support issues, is by far less important.

Okay, back to our regular programming.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2002, 07:10 PM   #23
Regular Crew

VX2000 vs. GL2 (color difference)

Hi,

If anyone can help, I'd sure appreciate it!

I'm in the final throes of deciding between a GL2 and VX2000.

I would prefer the GL2 BUT, I just can't get used to the color of the video.

I keep finding that no matter what I do/alter, in natural light (inside and outside), the GL2 is quite cool (some call it neutral, I call it blue/grey). I prefer a slightly warmer look (which in tests, I keep getting from the VX2000), though otherwise, I really like the GL2 picture. And in fact, really like the GL2 in general.

I've looked at a lot of color tests (my own and online) and no one seems to have my same complaint.

So, does anyone out there know what I'm talking about? Do you find the VX2000 to be warmer too? Do you think the GL2 is too cool?

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I'd love some other opinions.

Thanks so much!

-Heidi
Heidi Willoughby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2002, 07:53 PM   #24
Wrangler

I think you posted the answer to your own question.

If you don't like the video, why would you buy the camera? Unless you like color-correcting all of your footage.

I don't think we can validate your purchase of a GL2 for you, Know what I mean?

Sorry, but it's got to be your decision.

They are both good cameras. The 2000 is better in low light and by your comments, delivers a picture more suitable for you.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion