PD170 or DSR 390? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 26th, 2004, 10:43 AM   #1
Major Player

PD170 or DSR 390?

Hi,

I've been informed that the DSR 390 doesn’t have that much of a different image to that of the PD 170.

I know that the "shoulder mounted" type camcorder would look more professional, however that doesn’t particularly bother me.

Do you guys and galls think that the 390 would be worth the investment if I were trying to achieve a better image quality?
Old April 26th, 2004, 11:13 AM   #2
Major Player

Larger chips and the ability to use truly excellent lenses have GOT to make for a better image. Manual controls must be better too.
(Haven't shot with anything bigger than a PD170).

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 01:11 PM   #3
Major Player

O yes, there is a big difference.

I've seen a 150 and a 370 side by side and compared footage. There's no question about what is what.
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 03:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've got a 150 and 390, the biggest difference I can see is the bigger DOF and the ability to handle a larger contrast range before blowing out and or going to black. The image is a bit sharper but not a huge difference(better lens would probably help here).

The adjustments available to tweak the image run rings around the 150/170 - still playing with those!
Jon McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 09:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

It is well worth the added price if you can afford it. I use two Sony DXC327 equipped with a component back and CCU and the added dynamic range and the option of calibrating the color shift in four independent channels alone is worth the added price over the PD170.

Alex
Alex Ratson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 12:07 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi, I’m now thinking of getting the 390PK1 kit, with the canon 19x lens.

Does this kit come with battery/ charger?

If so, whats the life on it?
Old April 28th, 2004, 12:28 PM   #7
Wrangler

Nice Kit. If it does not include a case, you will want one. I use a Portabrace for my 300. I had one of the hard cases for a previous camera and found that to be very clumsy but very protective. The Portabrace that I have offers little protection for the camera and I'd probably select one that had some foam in the bag walls the next time. These are more of a squared-off case than the bag form that I now have.

If the kit list does not explicitly state that batteries and charge are included, then it does not.

I have 3 Sony LiOn V-Mounts. The smallest lasts about one hour, the middle size about 2 hours and the large size lasts about 4 hours. The model numbers on those are covered with Velcro tape so I can mount my wireless receiver so I cannot give you that information.

The Model BC-L50 charger handles 2 batteries quite nicely.

Costs:

Charger is about $600. Batteries run from about $250 to $1000 each. I'd go for two of the largest if I were choosing now. Be advised that the largest battery has so much Lithium in it that the airlines have some limits about it. I don't know if you can even take them aboard anymore. But the 4+ hour run-time is very nice.
Old April 28th, 2004, 01:03 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Mike. More additional expense, I’m just about stretching to the 390. lol

I guess I should ring the supplier and see what exactly the kit contains.
Old April 28th, 2004, 04:21 PM   #9
Major Player

They don't sell the Sony Li-on BP-L60 and BP-L90 (the 2-hour and 4-hour) any more. The BP-L90 is said to have so much Li that it cannot be flown on passenger airliner.

On the other hand, I got the BP-M100, the NiMH version, which is even longer-lasting than the BP-L90, it is great! Last a long, long time. Weighs like a brick though.
Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 06:09 PM   #10
Wrangler

Please weight it and report. The large LiOn weighs 2 Lbs, 14.5 Oz.

Richard, look for a nice B-stock camera. NAB is just over and Sony sells the gear they demo'd at the show for a nice discount. Might have a scratch or two but it sells with a full warranty.

Sometimes you even get gear with significant upgrades at less than the new price for the standard products.

B&H sometimes has these. My local distributor seems to always have some B-Stock of one kind or another.
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:44 PM   #11
Major Player

My BP-M100 weighs 3lbs 7oz. Huge compare to the standard BP-L40. But it helps the front/back balance.

Oh, BTW, the picture B&H has of BP-M100 is wrong. It is the same height as the BP-L60, but nearly twice as thick! The picture B&H posted for BP-M100 must be a BP-M50.
Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 09:29 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I was pretty impressed with the weight/watthour/cost ratio of the IDC batteries at NAB. I also spent sometime playing with the Ike dvw7. That cam pimps the gimp. But it is a few grand more than a 390.
Martin Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2004, 06:32 AM   #13
Major Player

Also have a look at the IDX series. They are supposed to be very good.
Old April 29th, 2004, 06:33 AM   #14
Major Player

I can be wrong here but I think that the Ikegami one competes with the dsr570 and would be another step up.
2/3 chips et.c et.c
Old April 29th, 2004, 12:11 PM   #15
Wrangler

2/3" cameras are a lot more than a few $. The lens and the camera bodies both cost more. A lot more. You can get an operating DSR390 for the price of the DSR570 body alone.

I've had several Sony reps tell me that if I'm shooting 4:3, the DSR-300 series produces as good a picture as the DSR500WS series. I cannot tell any difference between the two cameras as far as picture quality goes.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion