VX2100 exchange for PD170 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old May 13th, 2004, 12:41 PM   #1
David Johnson

VX2100 exchange for PD170

Hi, I finally decided to take the plunge and join...I've been viewing the posts for months. I have a time sensitive decision to make today. I purchased a vx 2100 and love the camera but I am contemplating exchanging for a pd170. Both cameras easily meet my hobby requirements but my thought process leads me to think the pd170 may have higher resale values when the HD cameras finally arrive. Cost difference would be 800 dollars.
I am just learning the hobby. Present camera is a TRV30. Thanks for any input you may have.
Old May 13th, 2004, 02:00 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't think it's a good move just for better resale value. It really would not be worth it just for that IMO.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2004, 03:25 PM   #3
Wrangler

Why how much are you looking to get for it?
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2004, 04:56 PM   #4
David Johnson

vx2100 vs pd170

Thanks for the input. Let me make an attempt at refining my question. Ok if the resale alone down the road does not justify the additional expense of $800 for the pd170 would I regret not having the XLR mike inputs and the BW viewfinder down the road? I think I recall that the Sony professional warranty, slightly more robust consruction, and wide angle adapter for the pd170 may justify the additional cash. This will be a camera that I want to grow into. When the HD Sony cams are finally released I may want to sell either camera. This is a hobby not a vocation for me. Thanks again for your time
Old May 13th, 2004, 05:44 PM   #5
Wrangler

For hobby use, it would be a difficult decision for me if I'd never had to use cameras professionally. I made the decision to purchase a PD150 several years ago and, since I do make money with it, have never regretted the decision.

If you are going to take the hobby very far, the difference between your needs and that of a pro are almost zero.

The XLR inputs and the B&W viewfinder plus the better control over sound (separate level controls for each channel) convinced me. The better support is a major bonus should you ever have problems.

Now the difference between XLR inputs and an XLR adapter may not seem like much, but there is a world of difference in ruggedness and lowered clutter. XLR connectors are very rugged. The mini-socket on the 2100 is delicate and easily destroyed. The 170 has phantom power built in which makes using a lot of microphones a whole lot easier. Then there is just the lower clutter because you don't have an extra box or two and cables in the way. That said, I wish the XLR connectors were somewhere else but the handle. But then there are very few times when that location has been a pain.

The WA adapter is invaluable for a lot of amateur and pro use. I have one for the amateur camera I take on vacations as well as all my pro cameras. Few camera lens are wide enough and this helps with that problem.

Yes, the resale value should proportionately be a bit bigger but don't chose a camera because of its resale value. Chose it because it fits your needs.

I might suggest you purchase a used 3-chip, XLR-input camera and use it for the next few years. It won't drop nearly as far in value as a new 170. But perhaps only if you KNOW you are going to switch to HDV when the cameras, editing systems and consumer viewing tools arrive (I predict about 24-36 months from now before everything is affordable). Maybe even longer.
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:09 PM   #6
David Johnson

vx2100 exchange for pd170

Wow, that info was right on target. I bought the vx2100 from BH and have the return authorization number. I think you convinced me that 800 dollars more now may lead to less remorse later. The pd170 is on special now at BH. I have done NLE and may wait for the shakeout to occur after the introduction of "affordable" HDV cams. If this process is lenghty(shakeout) I feel I will be better served by the growth potential of the PD170.I really appreciate the great info!!!
Old May 15th, 2004, 10:51 AM   #7
Tourist

What is the special at B&H for the PD170?

I see the Special Tag on the item, but the price, when e-mailed is exactly the same since B&H started selling it. I don't see any other special items included with it?
Jim Malia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 01:25 PM   #8
Regular Crew

B&H e-mail price is $3199.95. They used to have it on for $3500 or so with the sony wireless lavelier lapel mic, transmitter, receiver. I've found a Sony dealer locally (Honolulu) that has the PD-170 for $3199 and it includes a wide angle lens ($400 item). Very tempting.
Randy
Randy Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 03:41 PM   #9
Tourist

I was referring to the comment about buying the PD-170 on special at B&H. B&H has the PD-170 listed as on special, but the price is the same as it has been since January. The VCL-HG0758 wide angle lense comes standard with the PD-170 and the street price on the lense is about $270. I have been watching the PD-170 for some time and the statement about on special caught my eye, but I can't determine what is the actual special deal.
Jim Malia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion