Which XLR Adaptor is Best with VX2100? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old May 9th, 2002, 10:03 PM   #16
Regular Crew

xlr adapter for vx-2000

Ok, I need an xlr adapter for using a good external mic, but is there a cheaper option than paying 170 bucks! What is out there?
Dean Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2002, 10:41 PM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

$170 is actually fairly inexpensive. I think the reasoning goes, if you can afford a good external mic, you should be able to afford an additional $170 for the adapter. Or something like that. Look at it this way, it's money you spend one time but the tool is something you use over and over again. It should pay for itself rather quickly. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2002, 08:51 AM   #18
madeline

I recently bought the Beachtek DXA-6 (for about $270) and it is working quite well with the VX-2000.
Old May 11th, 2002, 03:18 PM   #19
Regular Crew

geez... I guess there is nothing cheaper. Mini mike it is! or something. Maybe I can borrow it from someone.

Thanks
Old May 11th, 2002, 03:42 PM   #20
madeline

Here's one on ebay for currently $80. Hope that helps....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1351269778
Old May 21st, 2002, 09:08 PM   #21
Wrangler

XLR to mini converter

A friend of mine makes these for himself. He has posted the plans on his website, http://www.take2video.com/general.html

Almost exactly the same as a Beachtek or Studio 1.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, this will save you a lot of money.
Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:00 PM   #22
New Boot

No Hum, Just Poor Quality Audio. Will XLR Fix It?

Over the past 2 years, I have used a Sony TRV-520 with the ECM-MS908C microphone to record acappella choirs in local churches. I was always satisfied with the audio, but wanted beter video. This is a hobby, no revenue generation involved, but I love this genre. So, I sprung for the VX2000, thinking the audio would be atleast as good. WRONG!

I am not noticing any hum per-se, but the audio quality is just poor- little bass response, over emphasised highs with a "transistor radio like" distortion.

I have recorded in ACG and in manual audio modes using the MS908C and the onboard mike with no acceptable resolution.

Question: Will using the Studio 1 or the Beachtek enable a "good" audio recording? To the level of the TRV-520

Thanks - Hymn Lover
hymnchoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:43 AM   #23
Wrangler

The VX-2000 is capable of fairly good sound.

Couple of places to look:

1. You have selected 16 bit audio, right?
2. You have turned off the Noise Reduction, right?

XLR is merely an electrical connector that can be used for balanced (or unbalanced) electrical connections. Other than providing a connection for balanced connections, it really doesn't enter into the sound quality picture except for noise reduction.

It does not influence the sound quality in any other significant manner.

I'm not familiar with the operational characteristics of the microphone but if it is an unbalanced design, you may not be able to drive long cables without some negative effects on sound quality. If it worked before, it may not work now because of some difference between the input circuits of the camcorders.

There is a great deal of similarity between the 2000 and my PD-150. I find that the 16 bit sound is quite good. Not supergood but adequate for most industrial and wedding videos.
Old May 23rd, 2002, 08:48 PM   #24
New Boot

Mike, thanks for the reply...My camera definately has poor (brite, small bass) sound quality, especially in AGC mode. In my readings I found quite a few other folks that don't like the sound as well. Yes, the camera is set at 16 bit and I don't think the VX2000 has a noise reduction option (atleast I could not find it).

I was hoping the XLR option would be the fix I needed. But I think you confirmed my thoughts that an XLR adapter alone would not create better sound since it goes through the camera's audio circuit eventually. Understandably, the use of more "professional" equipment may provide improvements, but again I was "very satisfied" with the sound comming out of the 520 with the ms908C (a $120 Sony camera-mount mike).

The camera is still within the 90 day warranty, and Sony has offered to check it out for me. But, I am a little skeptical on sending it back to them. (not sure what is causing my fear).

Have any of you ever heard of "deffective" audio in the VX2000? Has anyone ever got a VX2000 audio fix from Sony? Thanks.

Hymn-Lover
Old May 25th, 2002, 06:09 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Don't go to the sight. It's just a trick to get you to go to some ones business.
Old May 25th, 2002, 01:12 PM   #26
Wrangler

That is not true. The guy is a friend of mine and he does have a video business. But if you look for tech talk, you will find the diagrams for the XLR adapter. I admit it is hard to find.

Here is the specific URL http://www.take2video.com/tek.htm

Thanks for your personal vote of confidence
Old May 25th, 2002, 02:33 PM   #27
Trustee

Yes the site is a good one and no one tried to sell me anything. I had to shorten the URL to http://www.take2video.com/
For some reason I was getting getting diverted to the host site.

I'll most likely bite the bullet and buy the Beach Tec. Being able to mount the unit directly to the camera, plug it in and leave it there is very important to me. I kinda like the recessed switches, hard to mistakenly switch one. Besides it's made in Toronto and that would be the loyal thing to do.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2002, 01:50 AM   #28
Regular Crew

I know that on my xl1, it seems that the mics are opposed right and left to give good stereo. This, as opposed to forward facing mics. I was thinking of just making a little sound reflector to get the sound IN to the mic.

I wonder if that's how your's is, whereas the other cam, I think has a more forward facing mic.

Bass? The mics are designed to roll off on the bottom end to avoid cam noise ( and save $). I know this on all to well.
Old June 1st, 2002, 09:06 AM   #29
New Boot

The VX2000 onboard mike and the MS908C have separate left and right capsules, however the MS908C also has a middle/center position.

Before sending my VX200 back to Sony, I am going to try another mike. Can you recommend a full frequency camera-mounted mike with a wide dispersion pattern?

Otherwise, I am thinking of the BBC Mod. Do you know how much (in $dollars) the BBC mod is?
Old June 9th, 2002, 03:51 AM   #30
mustardseed

how about a small mixer?

there is a cheap alternative but it is not portable,
you can purchase a behringer eurorack mx802a mixer from either
b&h or rock and ryhthms (usually they stock this item) for $99usa

It has 8 channels four of which have XLR that have phantom power. you can then send the tape out or main out to the sony vx2000.

The only problem it is not portable, but if you are doing a wedding or some indoor event, studio and plan to maintain your equipment on a tripod it works great. plus it gives you much more control over the sound enviroment. Since you can control voices with the built in equalizer.

Mackie also makes a small mixer, it starts at $300

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion