DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Color fluctuation with PD150 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/270113-color-fluctuation-pd150.html)

Sverrir Fridriksson August 12th, 2009 09:58 AM

Color fluctuation with PD150

2 Attachment(s)
While cutting together a short film, I noticed that some of the footage had fluctuating color. This was only noticeable where white backgrounds were dominant, but pretty much showed up anywhere where there was white in the scene, except for outdoors. I suppose this has got something to do with white balance, The white goes from pinkish, to just about right to greenish, the images give some idea.

I'll probably have to test my way out of the problem, but figured I'd post this here if anyone knew what was going on.

Adam Gold August 12th, 2009 12:48 PM

Are you using Auto WB?

Don Bloom August 12th, 2009 12:59 PM

if you're not running fully manual exposure this could happen especially if the lighting is flourescent.
There is 1 other possiblity although unlikely and that is 1 of the chips is going. There was a problem with some earlier 170s but in the almost 9 nine years with my 150 I've not had that problem but I'm throwing it out there however unlikey it might be.
It really appears more a lighting issue.

Boyd Ostroff August 12th, 2009 06:44 PM

When I was using my VX-2000 and PDX-10 I frequently had the problem of accidentally setting the white balance to automatic. If you don't see one of the white balance icons (like the light bulb or preset symbol) in the viewfinder, it's on auto. I finally realized I needed to check for this every time and then things were fine.

It's been awhile since I used these cameras, but IIRC each time you punch the WB button it cycles through the options. Problem was, the button is shaped just like some other buttons and is easy to press accidentally.

Chris McMahon August 13th, 2009 12:33 PM

I had a similar issue with my old VX1000 whenever I filmed in this one specific location, a warehouse lit with flourescents. Whitebalance and exposure were both set manually, and I eventually ended up messing with the shutterspeed, which I'd set at 250, and found that the issue happened whenever I wasn't at a shutterspeed that was a multiple of 60, which I'm assuming was somehow related to the flourescents running at 60Hz.

edit: 250, not 25. 25 would be stutterspeed.

Shaun Roemich August 13th, 2009 01:42 PM

Chris is right. Under fluorescent fixtures, your shutter speed needs to be a factor of the power cycle in your country in hertz. In NTSC countries (60Hz power) you need to use 1/60, 1/120, 1/180 etc. In Pal Land, 1/50, 1/100 etc. This is because the wavelength of light put out by NORMAL fluorescent fixtures cycles over the course of one power cycle (ie. each Hz). Pro fixtures get around this by using sRGB lights (the s stands for sustained).

Sverrir Fridriksson August 18th, 2009 05:55 AM

Thanks for the help, guys.

You are most likely right about the fluorescent lighting.I haven't had time to test the camera again but I'm pretty sure your advice will be of great assistance.