Warranty or no warranty on new vx2100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old June 25th, 2004, 09:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Warranty or no warranty on new vx2100?

I am about to purchase a vx2100 from B&H and have a question about the extended warranty. Has anyone dealt with the Mack extended warranty in the past? It covers one head cleaning per year along with other services. How long is their turn around time? I plan to use this camera for wedding videography but the mackcam.com website states that the warranty is not for professional use. The B&H rep told me that B&H doesn't offer a professional warranty for the vx2100 since it is a consumer camera. Any thoughts on what should I do?

Thanks,

Chris
Chris Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 10:11 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I did just talk to someone from Mack. They said B&H will sell me a professional warranty for the vx2100. Also, the professional warranty has a turn around time of 5 business days. I guess I am leaning to buying a professional warranty but would still like to hear from anyone out there who has used the Mack warranty, especially the professional warranty.

Thanks,

Chris
Old June 25th, 2004, 01:14 PM   #3
Wrangler

Is there a price differencial between the standard warranty and a professional warranty?

I have a PD170 w/o warranty but plan on picking up a VX2100 soon as my primary work-horse camera (so I can baby my 170). I most definitly will be purchasing a warranty for the 2100. How does the professional warranty differ from the regular warranty other than the turn-around time?
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 01:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Glen,

It's my understanding that the warranties work basically the same. The price for the upgraded professional warranty is on $20 more for the 4 year extended warranty. I think the main difference is that they will process your repair/service faster than a standard warranty.

Chris
Old June 27th, 2004, 01:21 AM   #5
Major Player

I bought my VX2100 from another of the DV Info sponsors, Express Video Supply, in Glendale, Calif. They sold me the Pro version of the 4-year Mack warranty for
$189., compared to their $149. price for the Mack consumer warranty.

Whether or not they give better or quicker service on the Pro warranty, I don't know, but that's what the dealer said was the case.

You might have to pay more for the warranty if you buy it directly from Mack. If you live in the eastern part of the U.S., it wouldn't be so costly or take so long to ship the camcorder to Mack's repair center, as it would for me, from the West Coast.

Personally, I prefer extended warranties that allow for service to be performed by your hometown repair shops, if they are capable. Having to pay for shipping to New Jersey, plus putting a $20. check inside, to pay for return shipping, doesn't appeal to me. But, both B&H and EVS offer only Mack warranties and rather than buying the VX2100 from an unproven
dealer, I accepted their warranty. I hope I never have to use it. The main value of the extended warranty to me, is
a sense of assurance it gives, regarding who will pay for breakdowns. Always, the best bargain in insurance is to have a policy for which you pay premiums, but have the good fortune to never need to file claims. I'm sure the Insurance Industry agrees with that philosophy, as well.

Here's the link to Express Video Supply:
http://www.evstape.com

Steve McDonald
Steve McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion