Is it realistic when people say they NEVER have a dropout? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old July 1st, 2004, 05:06 PM   #1
Wrangler

Is it realistic when people say they NEVER have a dropout?

Was finishing capturing footage from a recent shoot today and during playback I noticed a single frame that had some grey mosaic blocks on it. Granted: 1.It was incredibly hot and humid and 2. I didn't capture it on the camera it was shot (my PD-170) I captured it on my TRV-33.

It got me thinking....is it realistic when people say they NEVER get drop-outs. Some of these people do a lot more shooting than me. I shoot maybe 5-8 weddings a year and a few extraneous stuff. If it IS indeed realistic to NEVER get a singel drop-out ...what am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2004, 05:31 PM   #2
Trustee

You really shouldn't get any mosaics. If you did, it's possible the deck/camera you used to grab the footage may need a cleaning. If that is indeed the problem, then cleaning it and recapturing should yield a perfect grab.

I always run my cleaner tape through my little cam that I use for capturing before I do any captures, and I don't think I've ever had a capture issue like that or a dropped frame. Knock on wood...
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2004, 06:27 PM   #3
Wrangler

It is certainly possible that people (including myself) never get dropouts if we don't see them. I've never seen one from my footage shot on my cameras.

That certainly doesn't mean there isn't a dropout in all the footage I have stored.

But I don't think I've had a dropout since I got rid of my FAST analog editing system.
Old July 1st, 2004, 06:36 PM   #4
Wrangler

I've been able to fix what I thought were dropouts/damaged recordings by getting rid of the slack in the tape. I fully fast forward then rewind the tape. I also do this to tapes before I shoot something that is important. Can't prove that it works, just being safe.

In about 5 years, I've only had 1 real drop out that I noticed - and that was on a tape that I constantly re-use for rehearsals.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2004, 09:28 PM   #5
Wrangler

I mean it's not a bad drop-out if that makes sense- Ive seen some that last several frames. It's a quick blip- very easy to miss. Just annoying because my PD-170 is brand new and the TRV-33 that I captured it on is BRAND-NEW...only had like 3 tapes run through it!
Old July 2nd, 2004, 07:31 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I think that unpacking the tape definitely helps to avoid dropouts, although I can't prove it. Fast Forwarding and then rewinding the tape adjusts it to the cams tension which will keep the tape moving smoothly.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 06:23 AM   #7
Inner Circle

The instructions that comje with the DSR-11 insist that you should tension the tape and remove any slack by turning the little Mini DV tape spindles before inserting the tape. Must admit I never bother not being aflicted by dropouts (much) but on the odd occasion I've seen them I've also remembered that I've not taken Sony's advice about tensioning the little spools, so it must be my fault.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2004, 07:59 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Well I set FCP4 so that it warns me if there is a dropout while capturing, and so far haven't had a dropout.(knock on wood)
Ray Echevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2004, 09:03 AM   #9
Wrangler

It's impossible for an NLE to warn you of a "drop-out"....a dropped frame YES but not a drop OUT. Big difference.

On another note after looking at the footage some more the dropout seems to be right at the exact moment the speaker at the podium turns the mic on. Could be coincidence- but COULD it be that the wirless mic system the room was using interfered with the camera? I know it's a stretch but that drop out is dead on the exact frame the mic is turned on.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 09:04 AM   #10
Inner Circle

You're most probably describing dropped frames, Ray - a whole different ball park to dropouts. A dropped frame is like having hundreds and thousands of dropouts occuring all at the same time.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2004, 07:23 AM   #11
Major Player

Could these drop-outs be actually somebody accidentally hitting the "photo" button during the shoot? Did that once myself.

They should really get rid of the photo button, or at least allow it to be disable in the settings.
Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2004, 08:50 AM   #12
Wrangler

No- the camera was secured on a tripod and my hand was on the pan handle not even touching the cam. But I agree- why should a high-end camera like the PD-170 have such a cheesy consumer option as a "photo" button?! The XL1-s has one too.
Old July 4th, 2004, 10:53 AM   #13
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Tom Hardwick : You're most probably describing dropped frames, Ray - a whole different ball park to dropouts. A dropped frame is like having hundreds and thousands of dropouts occuring all at the same time. -->>>

I got confused, but yeah, I know what you guys are talking about now.
When i've viewed all of my footage, i haven't noticed any dropouts or anything out of the norm.
And of course, no dropped frames in FCP4 yet too.
Ray Echevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2004, 06:19 PM   #14
Major Player

Glen, thanks for the support.

NOW HEAR THIS, we know you manufacturers are watching this site, please GET RID of that cheesy (as Glen said) PHOTO button.

Occasionally I touch it when I go from tripod to shoulder, and sometimes just trying to adjust the iris switch going to the wrong side of the rocker zoom on the DSR-250.

At least make it disable-lable in the settings.

Thank you.
Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2004, 01:08 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Actually to maintain timecode continuity I've found the photo button very useful. At the end of any shot you know you'll want to rewind and take a look at (the talent love this and it can boost their confidence enormously), simply push the photo button. Then having reviewed the shot you can now push the stop button anywhere in that 7 seconds of still frame, and continue recording from there.

You know you've got an uninterrupted timecode, you know you've erased nothing valuable and the talent's beaming.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion