DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Suggestions for Filming Race Cars (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/28693-suggestions-filming-race-cars.html)

Dennis Hull July 9th, 2004 10:33 AM

Suggestions for Filming Race Cars

I am attending Vintage Race Car event at Elkhart Lake, WI next week (anyone going??). This is a scenic 4 mile road course where you can get quite close to track at several corners and stars of show are valuable old race cars running at full song--great sounds and sights. I have filmed one or two of these events for fun, but now want to improve quality of video footage. Any book referrals or experience/advice on filming events like this appreciated.

Viewing my past footage, my problem generally is conflict between getting good close ups of race cars--for instance, zoom in on one car and follow it through entrance, apex and exit of corner --while trying to capture overall feeling of event--for instance, zoom out to include and follow a cluster of cars through corner to show how close cars get to each other and how competitive these events are. Then I have trouble editing this mish mash of close ups and distance shots (in same corner) into some sort of coherent film that captures spirit of event as well as closeups of vintage car stars of the show. In addition, now that I have upgraded from old TRV 9 to VX 2000 I may try to use two camera shots. Thank you for advice.

Mike Rehmus July 9th, 2004 10:40 AM

I think part of the problem is that you are only covering a single corner. A story of the race should include quite a bit of action on the track at many locations.

I'd think about starting at the start-finish for the start and then walking the race course to get a mix of shots on each corner. Don't forget to get a few straight-away shots too. You know how ESPN places a camera on the wall? That sort of thing.

Shots of the cars in the pits (paddock) would also add some interest. Preferrably complete with drivers and crew.

If it is a short race/run you really have to hustle. But then maybe they are going to run several classes so you will have some time to 'make tracks.'

This is just my perspective from covering Can-Am and Indy Car racing here on the West coast for a newspaper a long time ago.

Dennis Hull July 9th, 2004 04:21 PM

Single Corner

Thanks, Mike, and many of the thundering old Can Am cars are at this event as well as vintage Formula One Grand Prix cars (from 60's and 70's) as well. Your suggestions are right on and I do video at several different sections (straights and corners) of this four mile hills and dales type track. This event is also great in that competitors have their great old cars on display until they fire them up and drive to start/finish line which gives good video opportunity. My struggle is mainly finding the best way to blend racing close ups of individual cars and distance shots showing many cars in the "pack" while maintaining some continuity of action.

Leslie Wand July 9th, 2004 06:07 PM

did similar event a couple of times. mike's spot on, but i would add that finding a second camera person very useful. not paid but someone with a keen interest. i've used high school students and as long as they use a tripod, they normally come up with enough 'filler shots' - usually wide angle....