PD150 vs VS2000: DVCam and XLR questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old July 27th, 2002, 03:26 PM   #1
rokahn99

PD150 vs VS2000: DVCam and XLR questions

I'm deciding between the VX2000 and the PD150 and would appreciate help deciding between them. There are two issues that concern me. One is a note on the "VX2000 Companion" site that

"PD150: According to Sony, when recording in DV (SP mode only), you may not be able to get clean, seamless recording. In order to acheive a more reliable and higher quality image, Sony recommends using the DVCAM cassette and recording in DVCAM mode."

Does this mean that while the VX2000 can do miniDV reliably, we're stuck with DVCAM for the PD150 unless we want to risk dropouts? What's the tradeoffs of miniDV and DVCam?

The other issue is to do with XLR with phantom power. I dream of not having to worry about running out of batteries for that shotgun mic I have on my former camcorder and the stress of having to remember to turn it on and off for each shoot. Does it work as stated? How does the std shotgun mic supplied with the PD150 compare to the Sennhauser mini-jack shotgun everyone seems to use?
Old July 27th, 2002, 03:47 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: PD150 vs VS2000: DVCam and XLR questions

"PD150: According to Sony, when recording in DV (SP mode only), you may not be able to get clean, seamless recording. In order to acheive a more reliable and higher quality image, Sony recommends using the DVCAM cassette and recording in DVCAM mode."

That is pure BS. Sony invented DVCam because DV is not reliable enough when the tape is heavily shuttled in newsroom linear editing systems (Only one network has moved to NLE and that was very recently). In an NLE environment, the tape is used just a few times and the dropout issue really does not exist.

I turned the DV mode on on my PD-150 and that's where it will stay.

For NLE work, DVCam is just an extra expense for no good reason. I did get a Sony rep to admit that to me at DVExpo last year.

The other issue is to do with XLR with phantom power. I dream of not having to worry about running out of batteries for that shotgun mic I have on my former camcorder and the stress of having to remember to turn it on and off for each shoot. Does it work as stated? How does the std shotgun mic supplied with the PD150 compare to the Sennhauser mini-jack shotgun everyone seems to use?

THe XLR & phantom power work very well and it is well worth the price difference. The std shotgun is not great but it works.

I maintain a MKE-300 at the local community college. It is a bit of a pain because of it's construction and the use of a button battery. The microphone is made of plastic and the hot shoe mount tends to loosen over time. And the output is only mono and the mono connector does not always make reliable contact in stereo mini-sockets.

Further detractions for the Sennheiser is that it has a foam cover that is actually glued on. So it is difficult or impossible to add a fuzzy wind sock without destroying the glue joint fastening the foam to the plastic body.

Compared to a ME-66 or an AT-835B, it is not as good, not as rugged, and not as directional.

It delivers a very hot signal that sometimes causes problems in the camera audio circuits. I think it needs an attentuator before I'd be comfortable with it. And then not it very loud venues.

BTW, if you elect to get the PD, spend the extra $150 and get the model that comes with the great carrying case and rain jacket for the camera.

B&H Photo sells that version if you cannot find it at your local vendor.
Old July 30th, 2002, 09:08 AM   #3
Regular Crew

hi,
and if you choose pd150, it's good to read http://www.dvinfo.net/vx2000.htm user tips. we have received a lot of complaints '150 does'nt go to fully manual mode, it does'nt allow set iris'. it does, but it's slightly different from 2k.
a good camera, btw. we made comparison between pd100, pd150 and dsr300. 150 is in quality closer to 300 than to pd100 (compared similar shots in monitor).

yeah, just afterwards remembered
Mike, if you have to shoot in extreme conditions (cold, hot, camera possibly hit by something), it's better to use dvcam recording. dvcam uses wider track. in extreme weather conditions tape changes it's elasticity (huh, not sure if it's a right term) and if moves agressively can happen gyroscope effect (again not sure about term), in normal conditions playback VTR/camera loses track, giving block error. if dvcam it's easier for camera to keep track.
And definently using LP mode can be a bad idea.

rgrds, Margus

Margus Kivilaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2002, 02:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew

i probably should have got a pd150 instead of a vx2000.
i eventually decided to do a lot of MS stereo recording which requires a figure8 mic as well as a shotgun. the only mic i found under 1000$(cad) was an AKG, which is a fabolous microphone but does not carry its own battery...meaning i have to carry a phantom power pack, and an extra cable.

so: vx2000 + beachtech + 2 microphones + phantom power =
a very heavy camera + plus a lot of messing around with cables and stuff.

i have a qustion about the pd150:
are there separate VU metres for each channel of audio?
Brian McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2002, 03:02 AM   #5
ottotune

PD-150 Audio metering

The answer is 'yes' and 'no'.

Yes, the PD-150 has two seperate, adjustable channels.

No, the are measured in db and not vu (volume units).

But I think your question was really if you could control both audio channels and that answer is "Yes you can."
Edward Tune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2002, 03:03 AM   #6
Regular Crew

yes, there are separate meters for 1. and 2. channel
you can even leave AGC on for one channel and use manual control for other

rgrds, Margus
Margus Kivilaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2002, 10:14 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Mike has the PD-150 got built in Phantom Power?
Chris Tsamados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2002, 10:22 AM   #8
Wrangler

Yes, see my prior post in this thread. 48 volts switched on each input. Plus line and Microphone selection too. And Channel one fed to both channels if you wish.

Fairly flexible.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion