DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Wear and Tear (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/29094-wear-tear.html)

Andy Browne July 16th, 2004 01:22 PM

Wear and Tear

Having just bought a new VX2100, I have retired my old (and now dead) Digital8. I have 28 tapes of archived jobs that I want access to. Should I buy a new D8 for the purpose of always being able to access thoise tapes, or should I borrow a D8 from a friend and transfer all 28 (1 hour tapes) over to miniDV.

I'm concerned about the wear and tear on the new camcorder.

Your thoughts?

Nick Reed July 16th, 2004 11:14 PM

I you have the resources, you could borrow a D8 and transfer them to your computer and save them as .avi files.

Steve McDonald July 18th, 2004 02:38 AM

It would take a lot of computer storage space to hold 28 hours of digital video.
I'd borrow a Digital8 camcorder or VTR,
if one is available and transfer the recordings to DV. I'm doing the same thing with all the important Digital8 footage I've shot. I'm fortunate to have a Digital8 VTR (GV-D200) and a JVC HR-DVS3U dual-deck, DV/S-VHS VCR. I got this cheaper DV VCR, just so I could do transfers like this without putting wear on my more expensive DV recorders.

Digital8 is running onto the rocks and I don't want to have important footage on it and not be able to have a working VTR in the future to play it. If you were to buy a new Digital8 camcorder for playback, be sure to get the TRV460, as the other model, the TRV260, doesn't have analog inputs or analog tape playback capabilities, that you might want to use.

Steve McDonald

Andy Browne July 18th, 2004 06:36 AM

Steve... great feedback. Analog inputs on the D8 are not important for I have the analog inputs on the VC2100. But will I be able to play analog 8 tapes and firewire them to my PC. That is key for me?

Steve McDonald July 18th, 2004 07:27 AM

Andy, most models of Digital8 camcorders will play back tapes recorded in analog 8mm and Hi-8 and also have analog inputs and will do analog to digital pass-through conversion. If your computer is set up with FireWire and the right DV capture program, a Digital8 should be recognized by it. Just a few models don't have these features, the current TRV260 is one of those without them. Check any of the lower model numbers from past years before buying, to make sure they aren't among the limited ones. As I said, the new TRV460 has all these features. Even though your new DV camcorder has analog inputs, if you're going to buy a Digital8 camcorder, you can save wear on the expensive DV model by using the Digital8 for whatever desktop chores you can.

Steve McDonald

George Ellis July 19th, 2004 12:36 PM

Another thought along the D8 camcorder lines. Check Circuit City and Best Buys over the next few months. Eventually, you will find an "Opened/Unboxed" model at a discount. There are some $320 Sony's that may go below $300 for an open-box item that you could use.

Edit - BHPhotoVideo also has an opened box section. Check there too.