why progressive mode on 170 looks ... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 26th, 2004, 08:18 PM   #16
Major Player

Regarding shallow focus, I'd usually like as much depth of focus as possible. I mainly do sports events and wildlife video. Not only do I want to sharply show all parts of the scene, but when key subjects rapidly change their distances from me, good depth of focus is essential for following them. There's a lot more uses for video than the artistic moviemaking that seems to be the main area of interest on these forums.

Steve McDonald
Steve McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 09:24 PM   #17
Wrangler

Use a relatively long lens setting with a ND filter if you need to open the lens. You can get a very shallow depth of field.
Old August 27th, 2004, 03:30 AM   #18
Regular Crew

What can I use on a PD150 to get a god shallow focus?
Lasse Bodoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2004, 10:36 AM   #19
Wrangler

Exctly what I said. Try it and you will see that at longer focal lengths and an open aperature, the DOF is fairly small. Certainly enough to do some rack focusing although that is a bit tough with the 150.

For example, I just switched on in auto, ND2 in place and manual focus. I was able to focus on the top near corner of a kitchen chair and then shift the focus to the top far corner. This was apparent even in the viewfinder. On a monitor, it would be more apparent.

Understand we aren't talking about a massive amount of focus change but enough for the audience to understand the shift in attention such a change makes.

Add more ND filtering to taste.
Old August 27th, 2004, 12:44 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Ok, Mike

I'm using the ND2 and a Scneider ND.9 in the mattebox and I can't get any god shollow dof. It's more than nothing but not what I want.

Watch the end of this movie :
http://www.arri.com/infodown/other/movies/What_is_ARRICAM.mov

They are using a shuttersped/iris combination to make the effect. I know the media is something else but it's not just the objectiv and ND.
Lasse Bodoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2004, 10:45 AM   #21
Regular Crew

back up and zoom in on your subject, that should help you get more shallow focus as well
Ryan Mattos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion