DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   buzzing sound in VX2000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/3019-buzzing-sound-vx2000.html)

Pleiades August 5th, 2002 11:35 AM

buzzing sound in VX2000

Hello,

I own a VX2000E; a little while ago I noticed that the tape transport mechanism started to make a high pitched noise somehow similar to the laser beam sound of a CDROM player. I don't have a chance to find out when this happens, it happens out of nowhere.
Other than this there is also a humming noise which also can be heard coming from my VX2000. This happens during standby, recording and playback. I believe this sound was there but it seemed to have gained magnitude. Is the humming/buzzing sound normal ?

I though about using an external mike to fix this, such as the MKE300 but it seems it is useless since it does pick up noise. What is your suggestion for a mike that can be attached.

Thank you

Mike Rehmus August 5th, 2002 12:02 PM

Have you tried to move the MKE-300 away from the camera until the sound is no longer picked up?

A more directional microphone may help but you should find another 2000 or PD-150 and compare sound levels.

I know a couple of old VX-1000's that have a lot of tape head noise but it is not picked up by off-camera microphones. Including a MKE-300.

Directly mounting the MKE-300 on the camera may allow the sound to be picked up by conduction. I don't think the MKE-300 has a great suspension system for the microphone element. And if it is somewhat old, it may be that the suspension elements have hardened and will conduct the whine.

Pleiades August 5th, 2002 01:58 PM

The problem is I do no own a MKE300 nor have I used it previously. That is only an assumption I have made through reading the previous posts. I would like to think that it works since there seems no other options for a camera-attached microphone, except the Sony HM-VH1? Zoom mike.

Also, there seems to be an accessory called the "CAC-12", it is a microphone holder, it is listed as optional accessory for the new Sony PDX10 DVcam under the pdf brochure. Sony also has two Electret condenser Microphones, the ECM-670 and the ECM-672 and it seems to me that they fit unto the holder. The CAC-12 seems to be an extension mike holder that attaches to the accessory shoe. Have you heard about these ?

My concern about the buzzing noise lead me to look around for an onboard mike. I pretty much gather my footage outside and do not have a boom operator so I am pretty much left with something that attaches and makes no noise..I have heard about the XLR adapters, something I shall look into later though..

thanks

Chris Hurd August 5th, 2002 02:06 PM

Keep in mind that the camera body itself is the single worst place to mount a microphone. That said, consider the Universal Mini-Mount from LightWave Systems. It will dampen almost all of the camera motor noise.

See http://www.lightwavesystems.com/products/minimount/shoe_carriage.asp

Hope this helps,

Pleiades August 5th, 2002 02:22 PM

The minimount. This seems to be what I was looking for. Now I shall look for a microphone. Is there anything you could suggest me for semifiction/documentary work, a one time buy..

Many Thanks

Kaya

Mike Rehmus August 5th, 2002 06:00 PM

Unless you are going to do a run and gun style of shooting by yourself, you don't want to place the microphone on the camera in the first place.

To do a proper job, you need (normally) a microphone on a boom. And a proper wind screen on the microphone when you are outside.

Figure (in the US):

$230 for an Audio Technica 835B shotgun
$155 for a Light Wave short wind screen with the hair covering
$40 for a microphone mount unless you like the mini-mount that Light Wave sells for a lot more.
$150 for an XLR to mini-socket adapter (you can make your own for about $30)
$40 for a XLR cable from the microphone to the adapter.

This is a good combination.

Oh, and you will need a boom which can really be made from any old pole as long as elegant is not an issue. If it is, then a boom pole will cost you anywhere from $100 to $1000.

A camera-mounted microphone just won't get the job done unless the camera is going to be right on top of the subject all the time.

Mike Rehmus August 5th, 2002 06:06 PM

More info.

A CAC-12 will not mount on a VX-2000. It is designed to bolt to the camera body, not fit into a shoe.

You can make up a decent microphone mount by purchasing a few adapter from the shoe to a standard microphone mount. Then you can attache a shock mount and install the microphone in that.

If you must mount the microphone on the camera, you can get by with one of the hard-wired XLR to mini-jack that you can purchase at Radio Shack. You won't pick up an noticable interference with that short a run of cable in most cases.

Still get a decent microphone if you can. The MKE-300 is all plastic with a shoe mount that will come lose from time to time. It uses hearing aid batteries that seem to run down a lot faster than Sennheiser claims they do. Expensive too, compared to an AA cell.

Pleiades August 5th, 2002 06:33 PM

Thanks very much for the info, very much appreciated.

I live in Istanbul, Turkey and I don't think they carry the Audio-Technica although I have heard good reviews about it. I think they carry the Sennheiser ME66/K6 combo here which is similar (I think). Will check on that.

I don't think I will find the parts to build myself an XLR to mini adapter or a shoe mount around here. But will doublecheck. If you do use such a system yourslef, where did you get the parts? maybe I can a friend in the US pick them up for me.

However, the boom-mike is something that is necessary for me in the future run, but as for now, I need a mike attached to the camera like you said, the run and gun style..

So, tomorrow I will find out if there is something wrong with the camera. And then will see unto solving the problem and perhaps looking into getting some professional audio equipment.

Thanks very much

Kaya

Mike Rehmus August 5th, 2002 06:47 PM

Here is the URL for plans for an XLR adapter. Istanbul is a high-tech city. I'm certain that the components can be found.

In the US, the parts can all be found at Radio Shack. For about $30.

http://www.take2video.com/tek.html

Gerry is a friend of mine and an electronics engineer who happens to own a production service.

The Sennheiser is a great microphone. Most believe it to be better than the Audio-Technica.

You might want to check the AT web site. They probably list a Turkish distributor.

You certainly have lots of documentary opportunities in Turkey! Wish I were there now.

Pleiades August 5th, 2002 07:04 PM

Thanks again Mike.

If you happen to land here, or get here by any other means, call me up! You'll get yourself a place to stay, a good guide, good food of course, and a shooting companion :))

Kaya

Chris Hurd August 5th, 2002 08:17 PM

An off-topic reply: it's always great to hear from different places around the world, Kaya. Please make a post in our "Neighborhood" forum and tell us a little bit about who you are and what you're doing. Many thanks,