Macro lens??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 10th, 2004, 12:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Macro lens???

I would like to do macro photojournalistic videography with my VX2000. Is it possible to get a lens to screw on the front of the camera that will make certain objects clear while the background is blurry.....similar to the look of a lot of photography that is done these days???
Brian Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 06:24 AM   #2
Regular Crew

You can adjust the depth of field using the iris in manual mode.
Old August 10th, 2004, 07:27 AM   #3
Major Player

Brian.

Purchase a set of "+ 1/2, and a +1 diopter" that will fit your lens (72mm in the case of the Canon XL cameras).

This will allow you to convert infinity to 2 metres and 1 metres respectively; and, you will still be able to use your zoom fully. In conjunction with an iris opening in the f5.6, f4.0, f2.8, this set up will give you extremly shallow depth of field.

The +1 is fairly easy to find among filter manufactures. The +1/2 probably will have to be ordered from a film supplier.
Old August 10th, 2004, 09:43 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I'm not sure if Brian's talking about close-up photography (in which case Robert's answer of using CU lenses is correct) or if he means 'normal' photography but with after getting very limited depth of field.

If the latter then you could buy a 2x telephoto converter and use it at maximum aperture (''open'' displayed in the v/finder), use closest focus and have the background as far away as possible. This is pretty limiting though. If you shot a human face this way it'd fill the screen and you'd have no background visible anyway.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 11:50 AM   #5
Regular Crew

>>>You can adjust the depth of field using the iris in manual mode.

How do I do that? Is the Iris controlled by the same dial that you use to control manual exposure or is it in either the presets or custom pre-sets menus???

Old August 10th, 2004, 01:00 PM   #6
Inner Circle

To film in manual exposure. Chrome slider to the middle position. Push 'shutter speed'. Then push 'exposure' and the control wheel (ahead of the side-screen's hinge will open and close the aperture.

If you want a shallow dof (blurry backgrounds) aim to use 'open' aperture (but not gain-up). Use the ND filter switch and raise the shutter speed to allow you to do this.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 06:24 PM   #7
Major Player

Tom.

I understand that Brian doesn't want to do macro.

I would think that he is after the "drama" of the situation.

As a for instantance: Many moons ago, doing a shoot for NightLine, (as it was known then), in a busy, busy, hospital corridore, subject in a corner, no room to move. I sliped a +1 on the cam, moved her (the subject) from the corner, and I took her place. Shot her with the hustle & bustle of the hospital moving around her, out of focus. Shooting it this way, with a diopter, I had a good field of the corridore, plus a decent chest up shot.

Mr. K and company, sent me a note: "Good Stuff".

And that I think is what Brian means by a blurry back ground. And thus, my recommendations.

Brian. Am I on the right track for your thoughts?
Old August 11th, 2004, 01:41 AM   #8
Regular Crew

>>>If you want a shallow dof (blurry backgrounds) aim to use 'open' aperture (but not gain-up). Use the ND filter switch and raise the shutter speed to allow you to do this.

Maybe I'm over-thinking this one, but what do you mean, "aim to use open aperture but not gain up"??? Also, the ND filter is currently set to off. When I set it to either ND1 or ND2 the picture quality is horrible.

I'm familiar with shooting in manual for exposure, but I'm not quite sure what you are getting at? Can you clarify what you meant?
Brian Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:43 AM   #9
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Brian Patterson : >>>If you want a shallow dof (blurry backgrounds) aim to use 'open' aperture (but not gain-up). Use the ND filter switch and raise the shutter speed to allow you to do this.

Maybe I'm over-thinking this one, but what do you mean, "aim to use open aperture but not gain up"??? Also, the ND filter is currently set to off. When I set it to either ND1 or ND2 the picture quality is horrible.

I'm familiar with shooting in manual for exposure, but I'm not quite sure what you are getting at? Can you clarify what you meant? -->>>

Do you know how to use manual manual settings? On either a photo camera or video camera?
If not, i suggest you look online or get a book, on how exposure works, once you figure that out, everything will make sense and be a whole lot easier.
Ray Echevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 08:48 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Brian, if you want shallow depth of field, then make sure your camera is using maximum aperture. When this happens it'll say "open" in the v/finder when you're using manual exposure. To get the word "open" to appear, twiddle the exposure wheel ahead of the side-screen's hinge. As soon as "open" appears, stop turning the wheel - you don't want to go into gain-up mode.

OK, so now to bring the exposure correct you need to add ND filters preferably although you can also up the shutter speed to soak some of the light. When you say ''using the NDs makes my pictures look horrible'' it suggests that you're indoors or something, and gain-up is taking place.

You must use manual expoaure to limit you dorf.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion