DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   vx2100 came today! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/30440-vx2100-came-today.html)

Casper Tighe August 12th, 2004 11:52 AM

vx2100 came today!

After months of indecision, debating between all the prosumer cams i bought a vx2100 which arrived today.

I was able to accquire a beachtek dxa-6 for a scandalous price on ebay (scandalous in a good way!)

so i could stretch to the high-end sony.

wow.

Thanks to these forums for alleviating my ignorance! :-) I am very happy with my choice, it's super.

But i was wondering if it was possible to buy a different EVF, i seem to remember hearing that one could purchase a B&W one as an extra.. is this true or is my head making things up? :-S

The EVF is the only thing is can think of improving in the camera, it doesn't look to give a really nice image, the res seems a bit low.

Mike Rehmus August 12th, 2004 12:23 PM

Congratulations on the camera and welcome to the forum. The B&W viewfinder comes only with the PD170.

Lou Bruno August 14th, 2004 06:21 AM

Good luck and enjoy the camera!

Casper Tighe August 14th, 2004 06:56 AM

Thanks :-) I intend to put the thing through it's paces soon enough.

Having a few issues with the audio though.. (but it's a vx and that's old news, right? ;-))

Thinking of getting the BBC/Glensound mod .. but having a bit of success filtering the hisss out with FC.

Other than that, brill.

Tom Hardwick August 14th, 2004 09:49 AM

DXA-6 Casper? I have the DXA-4 for my VX2000 and there's a DXA-8 I know of, but the 6?

Welcome to the VX club. The Glensound mod will lift your cam even higher and you've chosen well. If mine exploded this afternoon I'd be buying another before nightfall.

tom.

Casper Tighe August 15th, 2004 04:54 AM

Yes, i ordered the dxa6.. which is basically the dxa4 with dual phantom power for my mics.

Starting to wish i'd got the dxa8 though.. it has the preamps that the 6 lacks.. may have reduced the hiss I'm getting.

- But i do wish somebody had informed me of the 'exploding problem' you speak of..
if i'd have known beforehand that the vx's had a tendency to blow-up i would've opted for the gl2!

;-)

Tom Hardwick August 15th, 2004 08:25 AM

GL2 Casper? Has no one told you of the spontaneous combustion problem? DVX100s implode (just to be different) and XL2's fill up with water.

Bryan Beasleigh August 15th, 2004 11:00 AM

The best way of reducing the hiss is to keep the VX preamp below 50% gain and ideally closer to 25%. The Beach DXA-8 has limiters and gain. Read this write up for more info

"Thinking of getting the BBC/Glensound mod"

Read about Greg Winter's mod, better than the BBC/Glensound. The audio is fed at line level directly into the analog to digital converters.
Greg's site
Winter mods

Tommy Haupfear August 16th, 2004 10:39 AM

Beaser, thats the first time I've had a chance to actually listen to the difference the line-level mod by Greg Winter makes and that is extremely impressive.

I think my VX2000 may just have to be "winterized" and then I'll bug you about mics (of which I have zero knowledge).

:)

Dave Largent August 23rd, 2004 02:29 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Beasleigh : The best way of reducing the hiss is to keep the VX preamp below 50% gain and ideally closer to 25%.

As I recall, the *specific* best signal-to-noise ratio
was found to be at 5-6 notches down from
50% gain. Of course, this is basically what
you said.

Dave Largent August 23rd, 2004 02:31 AM

Casper,
There's nothing great about the 170 viewfinder.
Maybe the 150's is better, don't know.

Laurence Kingston August 26th, 2004 10:29 AM

The Sennheiser ME66 mic has a louder output than other shotgun mics. With the ME66 you end up using really low input volume settings and the famous Sony background hiss is (IMHO) inaudible.

Lou Bruno August 26th, 2004 02:38 PM

You "SAID THAT ALRIGHT!" All the new EVF is nothing but a magnifier that enlarges the LCD EVF and actually causes side distortion unlike its predecessor-the SONY PD 150.

<<<-- Originally posted by Dave Largent : Casper,
There's nothing great about the 170 viewfinder.
Maybe the 150's is better, don't know. -->>>

Dave Largent August 26th, 2004 03:29 PM

Yeah, I've noticed that side distortion interferes with
the view. Sorta like lens flare washes out the
whole image. I find I can focus better using
the LCD screen. Looks like Sony messed up
here. I was looking forward to an improvement
over a VX having read how nice the 150's viewfinder is.
I can probably focus better with the 2000's
viewfinder than I can with the 170's. It's bad.

Tatjana Knapp August 31st, 2004 06:36 AM

I'm one step away from purchasing vx2100, but I cannot help wondering....
Should I wait for canon xl2, in which I ''fell in love'' right after it was announced to come out (little short on cash to get it just now)? In any case I'd use it for short videos and some documentary work.
Decisions...
Right now I'm (un)happy with my little sony dcr-trv60E (very cute for home use, but of course no more than that).