PD-170 or PD-170 PAL? footage? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 13th, 2004, 05:42 PM   #1
New Boot

PD-170 or PD-170 PAL? footage?

Anyone have any footage or shorts or clips filmed w/ PD170, or better yet the PD-170??

Also... I am planning on renting a PD-170 PAL for a short movie. I know that most people suggest NTSC, and I do want to release on DVD evetnually, but I just think that PAL has a beautiful look to it, not to mention it offers more options if I intend on transferring to film in the future, which i may after I have compelted a few mroe shorts.

All of the movies I've seen shot w/ PD-150 except for Tadpole have been quite impressive. Tadpole wasn't terrible either, just not NEARLY as good as the others. The most impressive DV film I've seen so far is Personal Velocity, which really stretched the potential beauty of the medium instead of trying to make everything look like film. I even like the look of the PD150 over most DSR 500, becasue the 500 looks too much like Betacam- too glossy, and not intimate as the 1/3" Sony. But I can see the inherent advantages of the 570WS 16:9.

Although some DVX footage has been great, and I may be using it for some things in the future, I simply think the color spectrum of even the best DVX footage seems "cool" to me. The "cool" movie look is great on some things like videos or TV/BBC look, but not on everything. I feel that the old Sony VX1000PAL and PD150/PAL simply have a truer, warmer look when color corrected and shot with care and good lighting.

So, if I plan on maybe employing a pro to transfer my 24/25fps de-interlaced and possibly "slowed-down to 24fps" PAL to NTSC, what are the disadvantages? Can't one simply color correct whatever minor side-effects occur before finishing the NTSC DVD?

Thanks.
Tony Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2004, 05:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Shoot PAL if you KNOW you are going to film.

But 99.9% of people don't, even though they think they are.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion