Audio Level Strategy for VX2000 Recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 24th, 2004, 02:49 PM   #1
New Boot

Audio Level Strategy for VX2000 Recording

I would appreciate your knowledge on what volume levels one should aim for when recording with the VX2000 in manual audio mode.

I have followed the large number of threads in these forums and just purchased the Beachtek DVA-8 and an Octava MC012 mike with a hypercardiod capsule for my VX2000.

Being a novice to audio I am just experimenting with the equipment. It seems that if I keep the manual gain on low to medium (let's say 40%) then I need to keep the Beachtek's gain to maximum to get a strong signal as heard on my headphones or seen thru the cameras audio meter when I record dialogue at home.

What level of signal does one want? When I crank up the manual gain on the VX2000 I get a stronger signal but the noise seems to increase. If the manual gain is more moderate the overall signal is quieter (and less robust) but there is less noise.

My NLE is Vegas and I also use Sound Forge - two applications that allow me to easily compress the audio and apply AGC and the like.

Sorry for the open-ended question. I just would like a good approach to use these new and relatively expensive pieces of equipment.

Thanks,

MarcS
Old August 24th, 2004, 06:54 PM   #2
Major Player

Marc you'll want as little gain as possible in the VX.I Dont own a Oktava but you should not have to boost the gain the whole way to max on the Beach. Im sure Bryan B. will chime in on this one. Also you should read his DXA-8 review on your other thread down below on this same page. Mic placement could also be the cause of weak signals are you really far away from the mic?? Its best to get the mic as close to the source as possible this may mean taking it off the cam and booming it.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2004, 08:52 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Matt. I read his review of the DXA-8 - it encouraged me to purchase it. The Octava mike is reported to work well with the pre-amp unit.

My question in general is about how high a signal do I want to see on the audio level meter in db when I record? Should I generally want the peak signal to be just below 0 db when I record or, if in cases of a weak input - like a quiet source - is it better to keep my gain and noise down and record at a lower level.

Thanks,

Marc
Old August 25th, 2004, 12:25 AM   #4
Trustee

It looks like your on the right track. keep experimenting and keep your manual gain as low as possible. With the Beach at 75% you should be able to keep the camera gain around 25%. If I recall I ran a dynamic with a -53 db sensitivety at 40%. the Oktava is around -40db. There's no hard and fast rule, every situation is different

I'm sorry my mind isn't working to well right now. i just got a new knee and it's either the meds or the bloody pain. i'll have a look tomorrow.
Old August 25th, 2004, 06:52 AM   #5
New Boot

Bryan,

Thanks for the encouragement. Remember what they say in post-operative physical therapy..."No gain, no pain", ..... or is that an audio term?

Good luck with your knee. I'm a physician. One of my friends way back when actually recorded the sounds of joint movement and actually found some utilities in that arena for the orthopedic researchers.

I'm going to experiment with the Beachtek and the Octava settings for manual gain and preamp power. I also am going to read Jay Rose's primer on sound.

The camera is definately heavier now to lug around. It's only an extra pound, but the weight is noticable.

Thanks,

Marc S
Old August 25th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #6
Trustee

Or in the case of joint replacement motion is lotion.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion